Another white westy - Busted again!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nolina said:
Why does the business diner partition white westy? The boy defends a solid spigot. White westy infers each requested map. White westy reflects against the sworn secret. Should Another rebuild the smashed toy? Past white westy offends Another .

Awesome bit of spam :lol:

More slow progress

The shelf that hangs from the roof just had bare ply which look grim so i stuck a left over piece on and varnished it.

And the wardrobe didn't have these little brackets. So after checking a few buses at the Breeze i made some out of something i found at work.

Still no time for a MOT though :(

Looking good mate.

I'll see if I have got any Westy trim for the front edge of that top locker....

As i havent updated for months i thought i should now, as i'm working on it again.

The steering box has been a major problem which failed the mot.

To carry on from my post in technical section i decided i should put it build thread.
I've nearly cracked it with the late steering box conversion, quite easy to do as well.
Here are some photo's, enjoy :)
The 2 boxes
20120327_202753-1.jpg

The chassis rail where it needs to mount, marked for larger hole.
20120408_162959.jpg

Template i made
20120408_163121.jpg

Hole cut.
20120408_165334.jpg

Used a worn disc and a full size to get into the tight space.
20120408_165257.jpg

The hole that needs to be drilled is on the edge of this sleeve, so i drilled the 4 dimple and drill a hole in the bottom of the chassis rail. I then put a punch through the bottom hole and tapped the sleeve out, easy.
I can reuse this sleeve when i drill the other hole then weld it.
20120408_171056.jpg

Box sort of fitted :D
20120408_165534.jpg

The hole on the other side needs opening up as the box doesn't go all the way through.
20120408_165643.jpg

20120408_165559.jpg

After i open the hole up i will see what i need to do here.
20120408_165610.jpg

Right thats all for now if i can i will finish it tomorrow, but i have another problem in that i need to find a arm that the drag link connects to. The box didn't come with one.

That's a big, rough, square hole you've cut in the chassis. Just as well the MOT man won't be able to see it. Why didn't you make the hole round?

The cuts are straight and square, the cut at the top is part of the original hole. you can't go round because the size of hole would need to be so big it would cut through the mounting holes.
When i made the templates i started with round holes i then found a photo of how they mount in a latebay, which is like this and round on the other.
The template on the box shows the shape of the box.

Really? Apologies, I didn't remember such a big hole (and for sounding negative). Like "many others" I'm also watching with interest - I have a knackered 68 box I've fixed for now, but not got a great deal of faith in it lasting. I've also got a good late one going spare.

Neat work getting the tube out intact - that's a job saved. :)

No problem, I will get the photo and show you the piece i cut.
I spent alot of time on this and wasn't going to do it when i made the first templates, with the shape of the box
its the only shape to cut.

Perhaps the late chassis is taller? I can take some pics/measurements of one tomorrow (Monday) if you like? I won't set off until after 9 so if there's anything you'd like to know I'll check here before I leave. :) Won't be back until late though - prob 8 ish.

Cheers, i may not be up by then as i can't seem to sleep now!! stinking cold.

I found the photo 21st down
http://thelatebay.com/index.php?topic=369.240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will see if I can see anything useful, but from a glance at the pics it does look like the chassis is deeper on the late and also the steel around the late square hole looks a bit thicker than the other chassis leg on the pic and our earlies.

Just had a Doh! moment - My bus is LHD, My late box is RHD. :roll: :lol:

In the near future, I want to replace my EB steering box by a late one too.
Is there anything else that needs adjustment or replacement, besides drilling some new holes in the chassis??
Or is it not as simple as I think it looks like?? :oops:

Just a complete box with the arm and tools, the template is the hardest part.
I've had some minor surgery on my eyelid, so as i only have one eye i can't finish it didn't yet.

As no one is really interested in my house i'll tell you lot, i have done it!!! :D
The late box fits i managed to finally get an hour on it this evening, here are a couple of pics.

20120521_190536.jpg

yes i know the hole isn't central, those hole saw cutters are tricky without a proper pilot hole.
20120521_190657.jpg

20120521_190921.jpg

The dirty great big hole behind isn't to make it fit, it was rusty and also a failure on the mot.
When i remove the box to clean it i'll get a pic of what i had to cut, its the bit of the valance above the big hole that curves up.

Great Job! I am impressed thatnyou finally achieved it...as well as the housework, and family life...I always seem to have the same "hurdles" in the way :lol:
I am sure many will be asking for a copy of the template now :lol:

I have connected it all up and it is super smooth with no slipping at either end, this was standing still hoorah. I will test drive it tomorrow, looks very promising.

Latest posts