69 westy montana red

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right now the repairs.i want to keep this van as much og paint as i can.i will have to paint rear corner as its burnt and no paint left but the patch above im leavin as it looks wicked.so heres the repairs i have done so far.

Photo0165.jpg

Photo0236.jpg

Photo0237.jpg

Photo0239.jpg

Photo0242.jpg

inner arch repairs both sides,fully welded then seam sealed then painted

Photo0243.jpg

Photo0245.jpg

Photo0251.jpg

Photo0246.jpg

Photo0249.jpg

CIMG4332.jpg

CIMG4336.jpg

CIMG4337.jpg

so there was a scabby bit on the bottom of the sliding door so that had to be done.Jon (faux) came for a look so i grabbed him to help me lift it off and put it back on a hour later all welded up.

CIMG4374.jpg

CIMG4373.jpg

CIMG4375.jpg

CIMG4378.jpg

CIMG4380.jpg

CIMG4381.jpg

CIMG4394.jpg

scabby bit on front arch bye bye.

CIMG4393.jpg

CIMG4396.jpg

CIMG4398.jpg

right rear corner and battery tray.rear corner was gone most way around so i had to build that back up before the tray could go in.

Photo0188.jpg

Photo0192.jpg

Photo0194.jpg

Photo0195.jpg

Photo0196.jpg

Photo0197.jpg

Photo0198.jpg

Photo0189.jpg

Photo0199.jpg

Photo0201.jpg

CIMG4311.jpg

CIMG4310.jpg

CIMG4312.jpg

CIMG4317.jpg

CIMG4319.jpg

CIMG4321.jpg

CIMG4324.jpg

CIMG4331.jpg

so here is a cool burnt bit im keeping and then some pics of the paint after the first run round with the mop

Photo0312.jpg

Photo0320.jpg

Photo0319.jpg

Photo0318.jpg

CIMG4403.jpg

now the welded bits preped and primered

CIMG4402.jpg

and the red paint put on it needs flatting down to blend in nice but it looks good so far.now im upto date so best get my arse in gear and get on with it again

Photo0326.jpg

Photo0328.jpg

Photo0327.jpg

Photo0332.jpg

Photo0331.jpg

Photo0330.jpg

This is going to be one to watch in the summer. I can't wait to see it on the road.
Change of stance and some nice wheels! 8)
I think we need to get this one in the volksworld line up. Come on Lee, you know you want to.
Jon

Rusty Lee said:
Dean70bay said:
nice, so like mine cause mine a 69 registered 70, would love to know your plans for it are, Thanks Dean

plans are to get it on the road mate.slamin it king and link pin and got a disc brake conversion going on.watch this space.

oh very nice, i wana lower mine in the new year, that beam looks great, do u think the king and link is the best way to go, as i dont know much about lowering or beams ( im a house builder ) how you lowering the back, thanks Dean

Dean70bay said:
Rusty Lee said:
Dean70bay said:
nice, so like mine cause mine a 69 registered 70, would love to know your plans for it are, Thanks Dean

plans are to get it on the road mate.slamin it king and link pin and got a disc brake conversion going on.watch this space.

oh very nice, i wana lower mine in the new year, that beam looks great, do u think the king and link is the best way to go, as i dont know much about lowering or beams ( im a house builder ) how you lowering the back, thanks Dean

I have some creative adjustable spring plates for the rear mate.Im told you can go lower with king and link pin but im no expert im sure someone may chime in with the answers your looking for.the main reason im going down this root is because jon gave me a complete beam with spindles so that wwas one savin and its cheaper for me to get split spindles dropped than it is bay.Do you have a thread on your van id like to see some piccys.Lee....

just found this amusing pic of what one of the guys i went to the classic did with his westy purchase ha what a tool made my day when i pulled up at the hotel.

DSC_0852.jpg

nokian8038.jpg

nokian8042.jpg

nokian8049.jpg

When i got it, it was a darker red and had a bang in the front the overrider pushed into the body, and a bang on the back corner, gearbox had gone, splines in the rear hubs had gone, engine rubbish, electrics were a mess not a lot working, canvas/ hinges/ bunkbed missing in the pop top area etc etc, lucky the only bit of rust on the whole van was a 2" hole in the battery tray so replaced that
vwnew010.jpg

vwnew009.jpg

vwnew011.jpg

Deans1641cc029.jpg

nokian8077.jpg

nokian8076.jpg
ive had it 2 years :oops: hope to mot it after christmas, repainted it, ive replaced more or less everything e.g engine, gearbox, cv joints, every brake part, shocks, tie rods etc etc put some whitewalls on, retrimed the interior,since the photos its all shiny now and painted the pop top, brought a og 1 key lockset

Dean70bay said:
nokian8038.jpg

nokian8042.jpg

nokian8049.jpg

When i got it, it was a darker red and had a bang in the front the overrider pushed into the body, and a bang on the back corner, gearbox had gone, splines in the rear hubs had gone, engine rubbish, electrics were a mess not a lot working, canvas/ hinges/ bunkbed missing in the pop top area etc etc, lucky the only bit of rust on the whole van was a 2" hole in the battery tray so replaced that
vwnew010.jpg

vwnew009.jpg

vwnew011.jpg

Deans1641cc029.jpg

nokian8077.jpg

nokian8076.jpg
ive had it 2 years :oops: hope to mot it after christmas, repainted it, ive replaced more or less everything e.g engine, gearbox, cv joints, every brake part, shocks, tie rods etc etc put some whitewalls on, retrimed the interior,since the photos its all shiny now and painted the pop top, brought a og 1 key lockset

wow very nice indeed mate lovely van.have to get them together at some point next season.what you want now is one of our westy continental double roof beds :lol: :lol:

Latest posts