1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the doors are off, and shorlty be up for sale. the windscreen is out and the two windows on drivers side are out. this has shown a few "corner cutting" jobs by previous owners. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! a mixture of fibreglassing, bad metal plating and filler blobs probably sums it up. more pics to follow soon...

so after a long time research and looking which parts i need, my progress is once again on the move.

thanks to jabbo, i purchased this beam from him:

image971nu8.jpg

then, after some hassle from vw speed shop sending me shit shit shit quality adjusters for £60 i went to coolair and got a proper pair. last week went up my old mans factory where he was kind enough to weld them on:
img0188ca9.jpg

img0190lu6.jpg

img0191ak4.jpg

zip cut the steering damper bracket off the one tube and moved to the other side (the beam i bought was from a LHD):

img0192lu0.jpg

then i sent it off to be shotblasted and powder coated. £50 later and half a week went past. and here are the results:

img0195xb5.jpg

img0196zm5.jpg

img0197vr0.jpg

those end plates and just tacked on. was just put there so not to get the powder up inside. i'd prob just be able to pull it off without cutting.

thought i'd go red. you arent going to see it really but like the look i've got with it.

been down to replace the old ones this eve and boy george am i glad i got a replacement.

photos wil follow this w/e.

NaFe

p.s. maybe i'll get my backing plates done red aswell, lol

A FEW MORE OF PREVIOUS OWNERS WORK AND 35 YEARS OF RUSTING:

img0209jy4.jpg

A BIT OF CRUSTING AROUND THE FLANGE:
img0210wg9.jpg

NOTICE THE SILICONE AROUND BY THE SPLINE FLANGE. mmmm...
img0211bq4.jpg

CLOSE UP OF SOMEONE'S HANDY WORK WITH THE SILICONE GUN:
img0212ht3.jpg

WITH A LITTLE PRY OF THE SCREWDRIVER A REPAIR PATCH POPPED OFF!!!.... NOTICE ANY SILICONE (that isnt grease)
img0213ia7.jpg

img0214jz9.jpg

IF YOU CANT SEE IT, MAYBE A CLOSE UP WILL HELP .....

img0215uy6.jpg

All in all i'm very glad that i bought the beam from Jabbo's m8 as an impulse purchase. i had a little thought that i may need to replace my existing beam, but that has easily been demonstrated. I'm just glad that i didnt have an accident with the old one in place. Because i'm not too sure whether it would have stayed in place....

That beam is not to bad dood, ive seen one removed and then one side fell off! great work on that new one tho, i think you may have started a new trend there 8)

Well saturday morning was a very progressive one with the removal of the cab floor ready for the new one to go in (once it arrives). i left a tab around the whole floor as i'm unsure as of yet what exactly the floor consists of.

i used a 1mm disc cutter to zip around the cab and removed the floor in sections. the pivoting pin on the handbrake cable under the floor is somewhat stuck at the moment so we've cut around the handbrake.

img0217jy0.jpg

just the start of the clean up to see what metal is gd or not so...
img0219we7.jpg

as you can see, some places need to be patched up. some of the PO welding is good enough to grind down and be OK. however, any bit that look dubious will be reworked.
img0220fa6.jpg

the last little bit which is a pig to get off so will wiat for the new floor before doing anything
img0221ml2.jpg

anyone wanna buy a rust free floor plan. being described as a USED NOS panel. how much do you think??? maybe i'll post back to PO
:p
img0222hb2.jpg

Doing a nice job there - looks good. Very interested to see your new interior too. Penultimate picture on page 1 - priceless lol.

Latest posts