1968 Westy spare wheel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilly1968

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here. I have just bought a 68 westy and the spare wheel is mounted on the front. Is this usual as I thought they were fitted somewhere else. Cheers for your help and excuse my ignorance please

Originally it would have been in the well in the rear , front mounts were retro fits on Early buses.

Hi there Gilly 1968 and welcome to the forum.Don`t even hesitate if you need to know something, just ask. On the nearside rear of the van you`ll see a wheel well for the spare,usually hiding under the bed. If you look in the noisey cupboard (engine bay) you`ll see the bottom half of it in the rear, most folks had a spare wheel cover over it. It got trendy for a long time to mount them on the front to make some more space in the back, and a lot still do this. Some say it gives a little protection as well. But its gotta go somewhere .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,Your bus your choice, :mrgreen:

Ok cheers guys, bus gets delivered today. Been up since 6:30 waiting for it haha. I wasn't really into westys so don't know too much about them. Find it strange that the wardrobe unit covers one of the rear side windows!!!!!

Hope it's turned up ok. Don't forget that although the Westy is perhaps the premier conversion, these are in fact all conversions as campers. This was a commercial vehicle designed to be a functioning working van or minibus primarily straight into the commercial van market. All the differing types of conversions were different companies adaptations and ideas as to what would sell as a '''camper''' hence they all have a foible or two :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,, ,,hope you're pleased, now where's the pictures then ! :lol: :p :lol:

I'm struggling to get pictures up as I'm not very good with computers. One thing I have noticed which is different from my late bay is I can see the fuel tank in the engine bay on this one. On my late bay it was all covered over, is this normal. Thanks in advance

Looks generally pretty solid! Some 68s didn't have a firewall (metal between tank and engine) easiest way to see if one was ever fitted is to check if there are any screw holes around the lip between the engine bay /tank.

Spare wheel opinion is divided, I deleted mine and used the space as a tool box under the rear bed. If your not going to the top of Scotland or abroad (like me) then a can of tyre weld and AA card does me, your never more than 20 mile away from a tire fitter in the UK.

Obviously up to yourself.

Just check with you're breakdown cover as some, like mine with RH Insurance, state that you are required to carry a functioning spare wheel...

Bundy said:
Just check with you're breakdown cover as some, like mine with RH Insurance, state that you are required to carry a functioning spare wheel...

Very good point, I tend to avoid the 'included breakdown cover' with insurers as its normally stripped right back.

Looks great. As said above ^^^ the very early ones did not have a firewall. Not sure exactly when they started fitting them. At least you can inspect all your fuel breathers etc. The very first thing to look at on one of these if you are attempting to make it run, is the fuel pipes and the fuel vents. Most of them are at the age where they are a little rotten, and if these go up in flames :shock: so give these a once over before you try to fit anything up. The fabric covered ones are the worstest, because you can't see the rubber pipe itself and it's generally toast. That looks in very good shape worm wise, and is it fresh in from the states ?

Ozziedog, ,,,, ,,,, bet you is all excited! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

No screw holes so I assume one was never fitted, just seemed a bit strange to have fuel next to a hot engine but if it's completely normal happy days :)

It's been in a warehouse for a while but yeah it's pretty fresh, it's got a few dents but solid. Bottom of all doors are still shiney white

Cool looking project!

68's dont have a firewall, no problem as long as everything is in order :)

Welcome to the ,sometimes painful, world of 68 ownership :D

Latest posts