Crank trigger ignition - info and ramblings!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, got a pretty stable map sorted now. I'll ping it across t'interweb for your reference.

A supercharged flat 6... That will sound mental. Word of warning though, the porker instal is a bitch to get right. The drysump needs to be placed away from heat else you get overheating. A friend has one with the sump placed above the exhaust :O
Which supercharger are you planning to use ?

I am tempted to move over to MS at some point. Best start reading up on the options. Only need sparks, fuel, temp and a wide and O2 sensor. Not going turbo or supercharger

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

thanks the tip. exhaust wise, im running two 3-in-1 manifolds from each bank of three cylinders. these run either side of the dry sump. i'm also running an aux mocal oil cooler on a thermostat and fan to aide with cooling.

i'm just reading up on it all at the moment. thinking of doing it in two stages. the MSD or equivalent first, then the supercharger route. I will have to bare in mind of the supercharger option when choosing the ignition system as I will need to accommodate a method for retarding ignition and fuelling depending on boost. if I keep the boost under 10psi then I don't need an intercooler which will save extra hassle. thinking the MSD MS3 with MS3X module (the MSDX appears to manage sequential ignition and also suitable for retarding. need to figure out what route I will be going down for the actual coil...coil on plug, or coilpacks near sparks. A LOT of reading on pelican parts website is what i'm doing with my evenings.

as for supercharger choice i'm still open to which route. there appears to be several options reading on Pelicanparts....

broom broom...

5years and life really has taken over and interfered with my bus install...in fact the bus has not been on the road for 4 years now...

embarrassed

however I have nearly finished my workshop space and I have bought ITB's as I am going to go full EFI - think I will use a Microsquirt but the Canems also looks not bad.

Lets hope the LC1 still works after all these years!

Ok - research is almost complete and I think I can say that I am going

VFR ITB's, with TPS; Mario's Coolant temp sensor, and Air temp sensor; Microsquirt, just working out if Mario is best considering customs charges; VW Speedshop crankwheel and sensor. Not quite sure how to do Idle control - well the fast idle bit.
No idea on maps but Mario might be able to help there too

given past performance on getting this shizzle done, we'll see...but I'd like to try and aim for VoWo show...2019!!

it'll be stuff like the best way to return the fuel to the tank, idle control, working out what holes in the Throttle bodies I can use or not! getting the cabling neat

I can sell my beautiful DRLA's - which I might regret instantly, the Megajolt and Edis to partially fund the conversion.

Why would I?

I want to try and get the MPG up, improve the ignition timing
[this is why I went Megajolt route to start with to get rock solid timing]
I'll be able to check on fuelling which is why I bought the LC-1 through Tunerstudio and just get my head into a challenge - exercise the grey cells

and weird as it seems - EB I think will help encourage me once I get going....

Darren

Sounds like an interesting project. The fuel return should be straightforward as the scooby boys have done that. StuF had some pipe with a return in it for the filler neck, sure he can provide a link......

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I am ashamed - still not got to this or the beloved bus.She is kept in the dry but ventilated space and is the next big project now the house is pretty much done.
I have everything I need except the tiny screws for the ITB butterflies as I am swapping the shaft end orientation

@jonboylaw - I will still need your assist I think with Tunerstudio - Mario said he would send me across a 'get me going' map...he hasn't yet but I think he knows me too well!

I'm thinking get her up and running under EFI and then strip down for paint/interior.

Am I the only one that talks to their bus...I say sorry at least once a week :lol:

Not just you bud, I can be heard saying similar or even re opening the locks to the garage and the door if I’ve forgotten to say goodnight if I’m off to the sack after working in the garage. Mrs Ozziedog says “you forgot to say goodnight didn’t you” I usually laugh and say “don’t be so silly, I thought I’d left that charger plugged in” or, ” I’m having a bit of trouble getting that light switch to turn off again”

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, I know she don’t believe me :mrgreen:

I can get this kit with serpentine pulleys and belt, only needs the sensor itself for £ 320. That`s a bargain considering a Scat serpentine kit goes for almost £300 these days. Let me know if anyone want one, i can get it ordered ;)

Abel

jonboylaw said:
Time flies... is this still work in progress? Any updates ? I am still toying with the idea... There are some decent TBs on Aliexpress for little money and the rest of the kit can be sourced over time....

Hi Jon

Sadly still a work in progress.
I did buy another set to remove the spindle to reverve the left hand side - then realised that the set screw is a very wierd thread - m4 by super fine
each one is £7! I need 4

thanks

Darren

atafonso said:
I can get this kit with serpentine pulleys and belt, only needs the sensor itself for £ 320. That`s a bargain considering a Scat serpentine kit goes for almost £300 these days. Let me know if anyone want one, i can get it ordered ;)

Abel

You can get the sensor from the scappies for a few quid, or try triggerwheels. Mario also sells them, plus has the bracket for discrete mounting behind the pulley (I use Mario's set up)

jonboylaw said:
Pretty sure you can get a kit to convert the throttle from right to left. look in Eurocarb website for IDF reverse linkage kit. Should be fairly cheap.

thanks Jon - I did look but could find anything - inspired to look again I did find some bolts for 2.5o each

Just looked on Eurocarb and they don't seem to have it in stock. I looked on ebay and found these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Throttle-linkage-Lever-Right-hand-40-44-48-IDF-WEBER-CARBURETOR-45034-109-gp1-rs/114083538822?hash=item1a8fe8a786:g:J3sAAOSwiUpa5j2a

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Throttle-Shafts-Lever-Left-Right-Idf-Weber-Carburetor-40-44-48-M-Ball/332533176397?hash=item4d6c85984d:g:7-IAAOSwa4xe53Av

Search for Weber IDF Right hand linkage

Ah
Thanks Jon. That makes more sense - the issue was I am using VTR throttle bodies so the ‘wrong’ end had nothing protruding to even put something on, it goes into a blind bearing cap and does not extend out... I did find the throttle plate screws for a £ each but lost the url, and as I clear out my history weekly I’ll have to refund
M4 x 0.5 thread pitch and minimum of 7mm long but I’d be ok cutting down as I want to swage them like the originals...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123130143972

If you look at the left hand set of tbs you’ll see the shaft doesn’t come through

And yes it’s a bit of work, but I got 2 complete sets for about £40 I think posted, so if I do sack this as a bad job it’s not big money wasted. Plus they come with injectors! So if it works out it’s quite a saving...

Ok, got you now. They look interesting. Do you know the Venturi size on those ?
An alternative would to be a single TB mounted in the single carb position to simplify the layout. If you really want to go Dual Twin TBs, then possibly a drive by wire could be implemented and use stepper motors on the TBs.

so my intention was to use a normal bell crank linkage with a single tps on one bank and yes I did want twin TB's !
I forget the exact venturi size - well opening as these don't have chokes

one of the threads that inspired me http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/index.php?t192548.html
linkage is easy on a type 4 motor as it turns out!

Latest posts