What's a good electronic (no points) dizzy that will last

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozworth

Reaction score
I've currently got a Bosch vacume dizzy from a 1973 bus in my 69 panel van. Unfortunately the diaphragm is nackered and looking at the prices of a new diaphragm unit there about £30 which considering the dizzy is not great I'm not willing to fix it.IVe heard a mixed bag of reports about non genuine dizzy's and also electronic setups. I would like go for a pointless type setup but wonder if there's a good unit that has a proven track record .Can Anyone help as I'm not sure if the ones on fleabay are up to much .

I've had a straightforward Pertronix fitted to a 009 for four years and, touch wood, it has never let down.

I know some peeps have had very different experiences with them however, so it could be a lucky bag.

Kev

Bought my one from VeeWee on the 35% off thingy. Fitted brilliantly and although I've not got an MOT yet. Everything seems to be running well

http://www.veewee.co.uk/index.php/parts/ignition-system/distributors-associated-parts/920vg0160?vehicle=VW-Camper+68+-79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Electronic ignition distributor 009 £104.40 before 35% discount.

I've had a couple of accuspark units over the years and they have been great, about £ 60 for a complete svda dizzy with the unit fitted, know quite a few people with these and they have been fine. I had a petronix and it fell to bits in just over a year lost the magnets inside, may have been unlucky.
Current accuspark one has been running for 3 years now and is fine.

fozworth said:
Cheers Kev ,Arnt 009's meant to have a nasty flat spot of is that if run with points ?

A tad, though no more so than when I ran points, I'd say. Certainly not 'nasty' to the point of being annoying :) .

I also carry an Accuspark setup as a spare (bought cheap at a show :D ) so it is good to hear reasonable reviews of these too. I know some carry spare points, a new plug'n'play unit seems to make more sense to me personally.

I think I will either go for a accuspark SVDA or get my bosh unit completely rebuilt for £100 including new cap points rotor and condenser ?

Latest posts