Dash lights turn off when main beam headlights come on

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbear

Reaction score
As above, the dash lights are fine when side lights are on but they turn off when main beam is on? Any ideas?

gvee said:
Dual filaments.

Eh? The dash illumination bulbs don't have dual filaments?

Bigbear, with sidelights on, does your dash illumination dim/brighten when you rotate the headlamp switch?

In your first post, do you mean main beam (i.e. headlight flash) or dipped beam (what you'd use at night driving round town)? :)

Tofufi said:
gvee said:
Dual filaments.

Eh? The dash illumination bulbs don't have dual filaments?

Bigbear, with sidelights on, does your dash illumination dim/brighten when you rotate the headlamp switch?

In your first post, do you mean main beam (i.e. headlight flash) or dipped beam (what you'd use at night driving round town)? :)

Dipped beam mate, (the green dash light) the instrument lights turn off completely, they only seem to work with sidelights.

Have they always done this or is it a new occurrence?

edit, scratch that

Red and white wire powering the bulbs should go to a terminal on the headlight switch. Check there is 12v at that terminal when the head light switch is pulled out

Sounds like someone has got the wiring to your switch wrong.

The green dash light should ONLY work on sidelights, and go out on dipped beam.

The instrument lighting should work on both sidelights and dipped beam.

If rotating the headlamp switch doesn't dim/brighten your dash lights, I'd be checking the illumination lights haven't been connected to the terminal that is meant to power the green light. :)

Wiring diagrams can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This sounds out of my league! Electrical cables are like rubix cubes to me, il have to get it looked at.

Oh come on, it's not that tricky :D

First off, please tell us whether rotating the headlamp switch knob dims/brightens the dash illumination bulbs?

That'll let us guide you further :)

Tofufi said:

First off, please tell us whether rotating the headlamp switch knob dims/brightens the dash illumination bulbs?

Nope that does nothing! :|

Would be interested to know what the problem/solution is as I'm sure mine does this as well although I hardly even drive a night so have just put up with it.

Bigbear said:
Tofufi said:

In that case, it sounds like your headlamp switch wires are connected to the wrong terminals.

Have you removed any of the dash switches before? For the headlight switch, unscrew the knob (with the switch pulled out, put a tiny screwdriver through the hole in the shaft and hold this while rotating the knob anticlockwise, lots). You then need to unscrew the metal boss below it (it looks like the bit on the left in the below picture, and holds the switch into the dash).

VWmisc003.jpg

Make sure you've disconnected the battery to do this, as the switch will then be loose behind your dashboard.

You may need to 'make' a tool like the one pictured above right, made from a washer, although I've always found needle nose pliers work OK to unscrew it... just go careful you don't slip and scratch your dashboard :)

If you get the switch out, you'll find that every terminal on it is numbered. You need to check that the grey and white wire is connected to terminal 58B, and the grey and black wire to terminal 57. I suspect they have been crossed over and connected up the wrong way round :)

Really like that little tool, even I could make that easily enough. I`ve always fiddled with various types of needle nose or circlip pliers which in all truth is a bit clumsy sometimes, but that does tick all the boxes. Mr Tofufi dosen`t live a million miles away from me and I`ve seen his bus a few times but never actually met him, he must be a smart cookie :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Stored for future use :idea:

Tofufi said:
Bigbear said:
Tofufi said:

In that case, it sounds like your headlamp switch wires are connected to the wrong terminals.

Have you removed any of the dash switches before? For the headlight switch, unscrew the knob (with the switch pulled out, put a tiny screwdriver through the hole in the shaft and hold this while rotating the knob anticlockwise, lots). You then need to unscrew the metal boss below it (it looks like the bit on the left in the below picture, and holds the switch into the dash).

VWmisc003.jpg

Make sure you've disconnected the battery to do this, as the switch will then be loose behind your dashboard.

You may need to 'make' a tool like the one pictured above right, made from a washer, although I've always found needle nose pliers work OK to unscrew it... just go careful you don't slip and scratch your dashboard :)

If you get the switch out, you'll find that every terminal on it is numbered. You need to check that the grey and white wire is connected to terminal 58B, and the grey and black wire to terminal 57. I suspect they have been crossed over and connected up the wrong way round :)

Cheers mate il give that a try when I get five minutes, il update when I've given it a go.

Well I've pissed around today with the switch and still no dash lights with headlights, only sidelights. I also have no grey and white wire that you refer to, the grey and red is connected to 58b and grey and black to 57, plain grey to the other 57.

I'm lost! :?

Yep happens to mine too, headlights on, dash lights go out!
No idea what the cause is, all stripped down at the mo, so will check out some of the suggestions when I put it back together. (Hopefully soon :? )

Kosytoes said:
Yep happens to mine too, headlights on, dash lights go out!
No idea what the cause is, all stripped down at the mo, so will check out some of the suggestions when I put it back together. (Hopefully soon :? )

So you have dash lights with sidelights but then no dash lights with headlights? It's done my head in all day! :|

you never answered Tofufi's question

Does the green light on the dash illuminate when side lights or headlights are on?

Latest posts