Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently have a poorley bus - after replacing the indicator stalk and fixing the dodgy relay we have been stuggling with poor running after getting the new Vac advance dizzy installed.

This was the one I purchased

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120804393100?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$_57.JPG

After checking for loose wires - found one of the alternator, I touched the Dizzy and it was loose in the engine. After attempting to tighten the clamp it became apparent the bolt was sheared! :msn4:

Therefore whilst running the dizzy had been moving about coming in and out of time! Probably the reason we kept stalling when coming to a rest and having great difficulty starting again.

Upon removing the clamp and sheared bolt as well as the shiny new dizzy I noticed the seal was pinched and torn when installed so also need one of those. Inspecting the clamp it is out of shape and has been knocked about so have a billet item coming from Machine 7

Fingers crossed the parts will arrive tomorrow and I can reinstall all the bits and set the timing correctly ( I think 7.5 degrees BTDC ) with my shiny new timing light and actually secure the dizzy to the block so it doesnt go wandering again.

Here is my new timing light - never used one before so wish me luck

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171578761802?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$_57.JPG

Then finally after using and abusing a cheap 12v cool box for the last couple of years for our trips away, often having to beg and borrow ice from people and killing my leisure battery we decided to go for an upgraded 3 way version. Will be awesome to have our cool box running on gas or mains when hooked up at a campsite - it wasnt cheap but hey quality costs.

We decided to go for a Dometic - Waeco RC2200 Absorption Cooler! Its massive

AHYou.jpg

Hopefully this time tomorrow/thurs Murphy will be back running sweet as a nut again

Bring on Aircooled 15! 8)

Cheers Adam am studying up on youtube as how to do it! - you going to aircooled 15?
Your seat covers look fantastic!
8)

Timing is easy mate, give us a bell of you get stuck :) still in 2 minds about aircooled with the little one. Not sure if it might be a bit far for the first camping trip if things don't go well! Looking forward to getting the covers on :)

If I get stuck I will give you a bell - cheers
Hope you make it to Aircooled - it isn't a mad show and loads of the guys bring their little ones along, very family friendly even when not catering :msn4:

Olskoolchris said:
We've bought one of those coolers Stu, its awesome.

Yep we are very impressed - love the stainless finish and its made by waeco so a great brand!
Plenty of room for food and alcohol!

Big thanks for Adam who popped over last night and basically gave Murphy a good old tuneup - carb adjustment and timing set correctly
Many thanks - owe you a beer (or 3!)

New parts are all fitted and I am pretty impressed with the billet alternator clamp from M7 - nice bit of kit and very well made

VaKED.jpg

Just need the weather to realise it should be summer and we are all set for Aircooled 15! 8)

Hopefully it'll run better now mate, if not I'll pop back with that carb. Fingers crossed I can get a beer off you at aircooled :mrgreen: :party0047:

All packed nice and early with the beers chilling away ready for our departure tomorrow morning!

Just hope the carb behaves itself on the journey!

p1XCg.jpg

See you peeps at Aircooled 15 8)

StuF said:
All packed nice and early with the beers chilling away ready for our departure tomorrow morning!

Just hope the carb behaves itself on the journey!

See you peeps at Aircooled 15 8)
What time are you leaving? I am leaving from kirton Lindsey about 0930

About the same mate - although meeting friends on the way so aim to be at the racecourse 1300 ish

After spending a great weekend at Aircooled15 and drinking my own body weight in Belgium beer we made it back home with some booty!
Managed to acquire a lovely pair of twin carbs from Toffo and need some advice as to installing them in the near future.

I need a linkage, airfilters including breather, vacuum pipe inc splitter for vac advance dizzy and anything else recommended
If anyone could link me recommended items it would be greatly appreciated 8)

Some pics of the lovely carbs

8jXBP.jpg

hvLAl.jpg

2JXdA.jpg

a8vBV.jpg

uQTJ3.jpg
\\

They come jetted and setup for a 1600cc so should be a simple install once I have all the parts!
I realise it is another engine out jobbie to install so no rush to obtain all the parts as they will probably be getting installed in the winter

Cheers for the help

So after lots of advice from 67Westy and reading some very helpful threads written by Sparkwig about setting up 34 ICT's I have ordered a long list of parts to install my "Bargain" carbs!

The ready to install carbs have required some rejetting in particular I have had to order the following from Eurocarb

2 x F6 Emulsion tubes to replace the oversized F78's that were already fitted to prevent idle issues
2x 150 Main Jets to replace the 140's fitted
Idle jets appear to be ok as 55's
2 x vacuum take off's so I can run a balance tube between the manifolds
1 x Antipulse valve for the Vac advance dizzy running to both carbs

Other parts that I have needed to purchase

Empi Breather box
2 x Air filters
CSP Bellcrank carb linkage
2 x Inlet manifold gaskets
Malpassi Filter King Fuel pressure regulator incl filter
Fuel T-piece
Slimline Manifold Nuts
Full R9 fuel hose replacement kit (I replace the fuel hose every year to be safe)
Tap and die kit for the manifold takeoffs!
Length of 8mm hose for balance pipe
Various vaccum hose

Might pull the engine this weekend and get the engine ready for the installation
Been an expensive week!

:shock:

Had a busy day today working on the bus!

Have re-jetted the carbs so am now running the following inside the Webber 34 ICT's
Idle 55
Mains 150
F6 Emulsion
Air Corrector 165

Also drilled and tapped the manifolds - installed a balance tube between both carbs
Installed throttle return brackets and springs
Airfilters installed
Single carb and twin port manifold has been removed
Replaced ALL the fuel lines from the tank for fresh R9 - do this annually just to be safe

New carbs and manifolds installed

Tomorrow I need to install the CSP linkage
Vacuum pipes, anti-pulse valve and splitter
Malpassi Fuel pressure regulator and new fuel lines
Refill engine with oil and good to go!

Some pics from today

2tkzb.jpg

3lmB6.jpg

EiHJR.jpg

LZulq.jpg

6OIAY.jpg

Spent this morning and most of the afternoon finishing off the twin carb installation
Just need the riser blanks and a t-piece for the dizzy to arrive and I should be rolling!

This change has certainly increased the pipework in the engine bay!

Balance pipe between carb manifolds
Fuel pipe from tank to pump inc inline filter
Pump to fuel pressure regulator
Regulator to t-piece and onto each carb
Dizzy to antipulse valve onto t-piece and to both carbs!

CSP Bellcrank linkage is a nice bit of kit with a smooth action - managed to get both carbs open fully without too much tweaking although I did need to cut the shorter bar down a little to fit

Malpassi fuel pressure regulator and filter seems like a nice bit of kit! Fingers crossed it comes at the correct setting as I dont have a pressure gauge! Fabricated a small bracket to install it next to the coil

Hope the carbs dont require too much setting up now they are correctly jetted and connected!
Can feel a rolling road session coming on in the future once the bank balance recovers!

Some pics

CBQ0Y.jpg

iVpRO.jpg

2j0kH.jpg

lShVz.jpg

Uoc52.jpg

Fingers crossed I will be back rolling monday eve! Time for a beer now! :D

Latest posts