Blind spot mirror for LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaylBay

Reaction score
I love driving a LHD but have difficulty joining a motorway without a passenger to look out for me. Ideally I need a blind spot mirror or extender mirror, does anyone have any tried and tested recommendations? :?

I have been pondering this for about a year now, I have tried all sorts or mirrors but nothing helped. I have just bought a pair of convex glass for my mirrors, yet to fit them.

I fitted one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280737870351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a few weeks ago. Its adjustable, and so far I've been very happy with it, although I haven't done an overtaking test yet (doesn't happen often :))

i use these, covered the blind spot completely
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Blind-Spot-Mirrors-Car-Van-Bike-Pair-Towing-Wing-NEW-/180817168287?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a198b079f#ht_1026wt_932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks A5H, bought!

We'll give them a go on our first camping trip of the season next weekend.

Bwuttonmoon said:
I have been pondering this for about a year now, I have tried all sorts or mirrors but nothing helped. I have just bought a pair of convex glass for my mirrors, yet to fit them.

The convex glass you have bought, is it to fit the stock mirror? If so where did you get them from?

I had one of those small round stick on jobbies for about five years but found it was simply too small when mounted on the mirror on the passenger side. Its just too far away.

The system I have now is a convex mirror taken from a modern car at the scrapyard. I looked at dozens before finding one that was vaguely the right size. I then used the dremmel to radius the corners to get it to fit within the shape of the stock mirror and then used silicone to glue it on top of the original. It wont win any concourse prizes but it does work and allows me to cover the dreaded blind spot that makes motorways difficult.

A convex glass that actually fits into the original would be ideal.

Trikky2 said:
Bwuttonmoon said:

The convex glass you have bought, is it to fit the stock mirror? If so where did you get them from?

I had one of those small round stick on jobbies for about five years but found it was simply too small when mounted on the mirror on the passenger side. Its just too far away.

The system I have now is a convex mirror taken from a modern car at the scrapyard. I looked at dozens before finding one that was vaguely the right size. I then used the dremmel to radius the corners to get it to fit within the shape of the stock mirror and then used silicone to glue it on top of the original. It wont win any concourse prizes but it does work and allows me to cover the dreaded blind spot that makes motorways difficult.

A convex glass that actually fits into the original would be ideal.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370599663043

It has double sided tape so would fit over the original mirror although I have to old frames so I'm going to try fit it in these.

They look like they could work well, will be interested to see how you get on :)

Thanks again Bwuttonmoon for the link.

Mine arrived today and the quality looks good. As you said, they come with self adhesive strips for easy fitting. I would prefer to fit it properly into the housing but the original plastic retaining strip is cracked and tired and will certainly break up if I try to remove it let alone re use it.

At a pinch I guess it could be fitted using silicone sealant, being careful to get a good finish round the edge.

Before I go that route, does anybody know if its possible to find/buy some plastic or rubber strip to fit the glass into the housing?

Trikky2 said:
Thanks again Bwuttonmoon for the link.

Mine arrived today and the quality looks good. As you said, they come with self adhesive strips for easy fitting. I would prefer to fit it properly into the housing but the original plastic retaining strip is cracked and tired and will certainly break up if I try to remove it let alone re use it.

At a pinch I guess it could be fitted using silicone sealant, being careful to get a good finish round the edge.

Before I go that route, does anybody know if its possible to find/buy some plastic or rubber strip to fit the glass into the housing?

I'd also be interested to know if you can buy any kind of replacement insert to refit a mirror. You are right they will break up if you try to remove them, mine did!
I was going to try source a rubber trim that would slip over the edge of the glass to make it tidy then gloop the whole thing into the frame

Those look like a damn fine plan :D
But think will replace the glass rather than stick it over. Know from fixing good original mirrors that Tiger Seal works a treat and if you're careful with the bead it looks fine too.

Interesting thread - but please note (and accept my apologies if you all already know this) but average silicon is detrimental to the mirror's backing - in time it breaks it down and starts to show through. It's better to go to a glass/mirror shop and buy some silicon/adhesive specifically designed for use on mirrors. It costs a bit more but worth doing if you are going to trouble to do the mod in the first place.
I fancy trying one of the convex mirrors too.

rev-al said:
Interesting thread - but please note (and accept my apologies if you all already know this) but average silicon is detrimental to the mirror's backing - in time it breaks it down and starts to show through. It's better to go to a glass/mirror shop and buy some silicon/adhesive specifically designed for use on mirrors. It costs a bit more but worth doing if you are going to trouble to do the mod in the first place.
I fancy trying one of the convex mirrors too.

Interesting. How long does silicone take to damage the mirror?

I thought that once it had gone off that silicone was pretty much inert. Car mirrors, including these convex replacements, are coated on the rear with a thick type of coating of some sort to protect them since, unlike house mirrors, they are out in all weathers and have to cope with severe conditions, including of course the salt spray of winter roads. Will the silicone go through this coating as well?

Hello Trikky
Couple of years on vw mirrors - I found out the hard way. Also - occasionally I fit mirrors as part of my work, and was advised to use the specially formulated stuff.
I've seen the 'squirrly' lines grin through in time- not nice. !

Mine's here as well, but it won't fit over the existing mirror as it is too large for the space. I pm'd the seller, they advised heating the platic surround and easing the old mirror out. Trouble is my plastic surround is old and cracked as well so not a good plan. I thought of double sided sticky pads which would fill the space but look crap. Maybe time to replace the whole mirror then swap the glass?!! Or maybe not care about looks and be safer with the mirror stuck on... nothing's easy at the moment!

Just noting that I fitted my mirror using stacks of three double sided pads. Fits well, looks fine and best of all makes it much easier to see behind. A car overtaking disappeared from the mirror just as I could see it over my shoulder. Perfect!

Latest posts