Blind spot mirror for LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mike202 said:
The problem is that the new convex mirror is slightly too small for the surround and then it's a loose fit in the steel frame! It looks as though they were meant to only stick on top of the old flat mirror. This has already been mentioned earlier on but then Bwuttonmoon says that his was a good fit. Maybe my mirrors are not the same I am not sure although they look pretty much the same.

I agree - my convex mirror was a tad smaller than the original glass too - just a couple of mm which did make it a slightly loose fit in the plastic surround. If I had a plastic strip in good condition I would still have had to apply a little grey silicone between both sets of mating surfaces; both for security and to prevent vibration.

dubdubz said:
ok asking a stupid question - how does the mirrors stay put normally? the edge of the back look sort of crimped?

Yes the slightly crimped edge holds the plastic; hence why they "pop" in with a bit of care but are difficult to remove without damage.

Mike F said:
I drove down to the Herne Bay classic car show yesterday, first trip with the new mirror glass. The difference it made was incredible and even if just stuck on with double sided pads as mine is I can thoroughly recommend them to all lhd drivers.

I agree with you there, driving the van has made such a difference and gives you more confidence. I have never been able to reverse with just the mirrors before.

Bwuttonmoon said:
Mike F said:
I drove down to the Herne Bay classic car show yesterday, first trip with the new mirror glass. The difference it made was incredible and even if just stuck on with double sided pads as mine is I can thoroughly recommend them to all lhd drivers.

I agree with you there, driving the van has made such a difference and gives you more confidence. I have never been able to reverse with just the mirrors before.

Since the mid-1970s, I have also had a large flexible PVC Fresnel lens, attached to the inside of the rear window, which radically increases the rearward zone of vision, in both horizontal and vertical directions. With the late-1969 VW Type 2, long-stemmed, interior rear-view mirror I have substituted, rearward vision through the rear window, should be further improved.

Just wanted to say - thanks again Bwuttonmoon for finding these mirrors. It really does make a big difference. Much appreciated. :D

Trikky2 said:
Just wanted to say - thanks again Bwuttonmoon for finding these mirrors. It really does make a big difference. Much appreciated. :D

:D I bet the seller is wondering why the sudden influx of sales :lol:

Update on my mirror fitting.. got a message back from the seller, these are the only ones they do. However they will make up a made to measure mirror if I wanted. So I thought I would see how I got on with the one I have that is slightly small for the plastic frame. To get it to stay put I used some halfords clear silicone; a thin bead all the way round the grey plastic frame, let that dry, and then another thin bead of silicone around the steel housing and stuck the frame and mirror into it, and let that dry. It doesn't look bad at all. We have been on a trip to the Lakes and the difference having a wide angle view down the offside is fantastic! :D :D

I am just doing the one for now but may do the nearside in the future.

I just assumed that because none of the main sellers had anything to solve this problem that nothing was available, so thanks again Bwuttonmoon for posting the link.

Langdale120512010.jpg

Mike F said:
Just been down the garage and found my nice new mirror glass on the floor in pieces... clearly best not to use double sided pads! Live and learn...

Sorry to hear that :(

Just as well they are not too expensive.

I can recommend silicone. Thoroughly clean the areas with cellulose thinners or panel cleaner (pre paint solvent).

Before the better mirror found by bwuttonmoon I had a convex mirror of not quite the right size siliconed onto the original flat one. 4 years later it was still so well attached that it was impossible to remove. I broke it trying :lol:

Well done all. Excellent solution for blind spot. But how to tackle overtaking oncoming traffic?

Thinking about this today, why not mount a small wireless camera under the front bumper attached to a dash mounted screen. It would make overtaking a breeze.

Trikky2 said:
Mike F said:
Just been down the garage and found my nice new mirror glass on the floor in pieces... clearly best not to use double sided pads! Live and learn...

Sorry to hear that :(

Just as well they are not too expensive.

I can recommend silicone. Thoroughly clean the areas with cellulose thinners or panel cleaner (pre paint solvent).

Before the better mirror found by bwuttonmoon I had a convex mirror of not quite the right size siliconed onto the original flat one. 4 years later it was still so well attached that it was impossible to remove. I broke it trying :lol:

Cheers dude! One of the most helpful thrads ever???
The latest offer from our mirror mate is... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330723781463

Latest posts