XOver rebuild.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Images, as others on here are finding, have been disappearing. Really frustrating. Looked over the pages on this thread to see what was missing. It’s difficult to pinpoint. I can’t see the underneath anymore with paint applied. So will put a couple on. Probably in a couple of hours, they’ll disappear again.

The thing is, photographs are really important as a source of great advice. When members on here take the time and trouble to share experiences and upload instructive and valuable image guidance it irks when we search for advice and come up with a damn ‘clock type’ face or the word ‘image’.

Underneath is looking fantastic.
In the picture showing the brake bias thingy, looks like the brake pipes are cable tied on which I am sure is a big no no?

Regarding the pictures disappearing, this is why I have stuck with Photobucket - so long as people use the pluggin, they can see them so all good ;)

Thanks Andy. The cable ties were makeshift to secure whilst work continued I seem to remember. Not sure what has been used to replace and secure now. I’ll find out. Cheers. Photos are on my iPad. So I just collect them and use as needed. I used flickr way back, but nothing now.

You're so correct regarding the pics mate, I need to refer to quality pics most of the time as half of my Bus has rotted away. :)

Nice job too.

Your bus is looking great. It’s going to be really satisfying knowing you’ve put that work in. No way on this planet could I have done what you and Andy have. Paul (the guy doing the work on my bus) really knows his stuff. Like he says, he renovates and fixes veedubs, I nurse and fix people. Mind you, I’m looking forward to looking after the bus and keeping it safe and sharp. He has just taken receipt of another bus from a guy who is an earlybay.com member on this site. It is because the member saw the photo progression of renovation of my bus on this thread that made him decide to hand his bus over to Paul. He also saw my bus when he travelled to see Paul. So he has seen Paul’s work first hand. I haven’t been to look at mine for a few months now. But....It’s a whisker away from completion.

Nice knowing that you are helping to keep a good VW mechanic/preservation expert busy with other members vans - word of mouth is fantastic when you know that someone who is working on your van can help others :)

You’re right. Paul is a one man band. Takes his time, fondly respected by all the local community (that’s a great word ‘fondly’) and has a mountain of knowledge he loves to enthusiastically share. I’ve loved going to his workshop and seen some amazing projects he’s been working on. And I always got a coffee, biscuits and great conversational exchange. I gained knowledge. But he now knows a lot of medical stuff too. Great vibes.

Not sure. He isn’t one to promote. We live in Wales and my wife has a wholefood shop in a small market town. She heard of Paul from customers. He had worked on a late bay owned by one of her customers. They were really positive about him. They knew we wanted our dub repaired and they said he’d be perfect. Hence we contacted him. His ‘Strip, Repair and Restore’ business name search on Google is low key. He really goes by word of mouth and works on all types of classics and oddity hand builds. Last time I was there, he was working on a huge engine in the workshop that a Land Rover owner wanted putting in his vehicle. It would turn it into a rocket fit for a journey to the moon or equivalent!! His first love though is all things VW. Luck really that we had this local guy with a passion. I know he was keen to take on an apprentice. Just so he doesn’t have to be there doing every task and chore. I bet keeping a large workshop running smoothly on your own can take up masses of time.

Just checked your earlier pic Gray, exactly as mine was when I got it. That was 8 years ago now! Looking sweet by the way.

8 years! You’re a fighter. Same as Andy. Nice to see you and Andy exchanging experiences and knowledge. They are for the long haul once you start. Once finished though, you’ll have a ton of insights to share with other enthusiasts at various VeeDub meets. Or out and about. I got asked when I first bought the bus ‘Did you renovate it?’ I had to say no. I bought it as was. And look at what I bought! A wolf in sheeps clothing. I did do stuff of a mechanical nature. But bodywork! No way! But you guys can stand tall and reminisce. Although the word reminisce means ‘looking back fondly’. Doesn’t include phrases like WTF. 😳 Your progress? Ditto. Looking good. Won’t be another 8 years will it?

No, I hope not. I left it alone and did no work whatsoever for 5 years until I had the thought to sell it and here we are once more, 3 weeks in and enjoying the experience once again.
I won't clutter your thread with my pics but I can assure you it's a mirror of mine when I started.

Don’t mind a bit of clutter. It shows others who visit the overall earlybay site the possibilities of turnaround. Comparison studies from bad to good give people heart, inspiration and hope.

Paint day today - decided to brush the Epoxy 121 under the rear of the van - used around half of it so will need to buy another pair to finish off the remainder of the van.

Once the rear is complete I will start to add the rear suspension.

A few pics of of where I am up to.

20180512_182053_zpssebhnncu.jpg

20180512_182108_zpsqck5rpok.jpg

20180512_182116_zpsna6higjg.jpg

20180512_182134_zps1cdpglpj.jpg

Order some more paint next week plus a few bits so I can get the suspension mounted :)

It’s good to see this amount of progress in your work. Looks the business. BTW...The sun is shining. Imagine you’re trundling along the UK roads, sitting in a dubseat and surrounded by all your hard won efforts. I know you love your bikes and ? TT (my brother has an Audi TT.....it’s his Number 1) but......I’ll say it again. Please don’t sell your bus. Keep it and enjoy. Keeping my fingers crossed that it’ll be finised in 12 months...........not another 12 years. 😉

Hi Gray, I've not been on here for a while (working on the Beetle) so just read your last 2 pages to catch up, great progress your van's looking fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing you out on the road :)

Hi Nick. Nice to hear from you. Pass through your part of the country very often going to visit family in Coventry. Not seen your bus out and about. I do see if I can spot it. The Beetle sounds like a good vibe. Haven’t been to Ynyslas in the Dub for about 4 to 5 years either. SORNed it all that time ago. Also...... Haven’t been down to the local beaches for more than twice a year in the car. The bus has been renovated by a local guy in Machynlleth. My wife heard about him from customers in her shop in Mach. Best thing to happen really. It would have been still sat in front of our house otherwise. Hope to see you down Ynyslas this summer. Give us a nod if you’re going there. Nice to meet up again. Didn’t go for your Beetle green. Went Racing by choice in the end.

Latest posts