XOver rebuild.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JUST GOT THIS EMAIL. VERY EXCITED.
Morning Graham,

Update: engine stripped, it seems to be a remanufactured engine (been restamped AD code) (also dated? 99 on top of case) possibly a red "bigbore" unit with oversized pistons, i will check the size on them later..

It has had a re machined on the crank and case. Crank is machined down .25 and case 1mm over. Cam shaft and followers are standard and shows no abnormal wear.

The basic block is good and just need new bearings and seals.

Barrels and pistons show the normal wear but with heavy oil contamination eith from ring wear or valve leakage.

The heads both show cracks (see pics below) show the chappies on the forum for their views, its common for it to happen, may have run a little hot at some stage especially if it is a Big Bore unit.

I did find one push rod separating which is unusual, i have a pile of them spare.

We can sort out the engine later but its good to know its heath.

Window and door seals:

Billy Bud is a factory window bus, most suppliers do full kits and you can choose from standard or deluxe with insert, getting the best screen seal avaliable really does help

Cab doors come in full kit forms as well, only choice here is fixed or opening 1/4 lights, both of your 1/4 lights have virtually rotted away so its choice where to go on this.

Side, rear and engine hatch rubbers vary in quality a little bit of research will have to be done to see the current qualities

We can have a chat on this next time we have a meet up in the shop as it doesn't affect anything at the moment.

Head lining:

You can get a factory front cab unit and the rear can be done in matching or contrasting fabrics, i have kept the originals for you to look at.

Door cards:

The ones you have shown im unsure of the fitting method as they are copies of standard door cards with out covering, the holes are for standard clips. Some splitties used to have screwed on door cards made from ply.

A Swedish cabin interior really appeals to you? If so we can look into options you can go as mild or wild as you like...its your bus..make yourself happy in there.
vrzm8y.jpg

34dsxsj.jpg

2mg70pl.jpg

30aw789.jpg

30cneaq.jpg

1zhnhu.jpg

2cz2hb5.jpg

11in39d.jpg

Any questions please ask, im enjoying working on Billy Bud.

Speak soon , Paul

Hi Gray, more great pics, Paul is certainly cracking on with it, nice to see the new metal in the chassis and he doesn't seem worried about the engine :D I've got one of the red "big bore" 1641cc engines in my camper, had it about 8 years and runs nicely, but yours hasn't done bad for 18yrs :)
Nice to have the history too, when was the last time you saw a Granada Ghia on the road :shock:

Hi Nick.
I posted emailed copies to Paul of a lot of the old invoices with input and information from the past. He said it was fascinating. Glad to know you're happy with the jolly red giant. I don't think mine was touched all the time I had the MOTs done. All bodywork and no services. So resulting behaviour was a 15 to 20 mpg at best. Really can see stuff coming together. The information above re: windows, seals and interiors are future considerations I'm looking into. I asked Paul for his advice as I've been looking at all the different parts and choices. Hence his guidance. It'll be a change of mind as I see other influences re: the interior. Keep looking at old photographs and smiling. Different lifestyle then wasn't it? But..... Cost is a massive consideration too. Ghia ? Don't even know what one looks like. Just nice to be seeing positive outcomes concerning BB. Fair exchange for a saloon car I reckon.

Hi everyone. Again, some more of the Alan H Schofield and VW Heritage pieces added. The front panel to windscreen and front cab left/right floor panels have arrived. My wife and I hearts are feeling lighter.
whh21j.jpg

js2d8l.jpg

2yjzlef.jpg

dxd6rp.jpg

sy8t9d.jpg

2ns3oub.jpg

2w4a5x4.jpg

Hope these photographs are informative.
Also......still awaiting the second hand front section to arrive by courier which will be a Godsend for the front cab considerations. Photographs seen earlier in this thread.

Paul just sent his last photograph of the day before winding up.
2ai1sed.jpg

Paul says he is using handmade parts too. I will visit his workshop on Friday and will look with avid interest at his skills. I remember working for 4 months in theatre watching surgeons and the surrounding team work. Those surgeons and nurses gave me an amazing confidence to carry into my practice. Someone once said to me it's the most confident experts in their fields who expound their knowledge with zeal and enthusiasm. This rebuild experience filters nicely into building my own enthusiasm for the veedub. I'm in 7th heaven again. My bus is in "metal surgeon" safe hands.

Some more photos:
2vbwwzl.jpg

2nkhy77.jpg

308w07a.jpg

whk4ty.jpg

2n025w0.jpg

33mvm1l.jpg

52e8ls.jpg

flk5e0.jpg

Front panel in the process of rebuild and sympathetic considerations. Paul explained the importance of getting it right when you blank off the late bay upper housings. Also how to adapt the panel into an overall early philosophy. Also the eBay 1968 front cab arrived and really looking the business. It weighs an extraordinarily amount and is so robust. Able to utilise most of this and turn the bus into a real treat. Godsend of a part. I mentioned earlier in the thread of the downward spiral. We are now in the ascendancy. I spent a few hours talking with Paul about every aspect of the bus. I've seen this from every angle, nuts and bolts. It's been a pleasure to witness a Phoenix arising from the ashes. In its infancy, but what a pleasure seeing its development.

Once the welding is done, and you've recovered from finding how much paint jobs are, the rest is all just nuts and bolts :) and pretty fun.

Hi Webbaldo. Have a ball park idea of how much just the paint itself costs. 😳 Still looking at a dark green up to roof level. Cream combo with it. Seen a beautiful bus on the web in these colours. Looking at original VW swatches. You're right. The nuts and bolts part is a maintenance/improvements project that someone who wants to keep the bus alive (Muir's words) is the interesting, and as you said "fun" part for the amateur. Thanks for looking in on the thread.

Delta is the idea. Nice and dark works for us. Looked at Elm initially. Paul, the guy working on the bus at the moment, has loads of colour swatches of original VW paint choices. So will really look closely, and choose with a lot of consideration.

Cheers Nick. Been into the workshop for a visit a few times now. All the bodywork is getting strong. The front panel is on and the front cab is about to be cut and rebuilt. It's a long way off but it's amazing watching it come together.

Brilliant, if you're still thinking about the colour the Beetle my son Tom and I are working on is Elm Green :D

Hi Nick, that looks amazing. I am still looking at the swatches of original VW colours and get a feeling for what feels good. The paint alone is a huge price so need to make sure it's what we want. But that Type 1 is gut wrenching. When I was 18 and just passed my test, I tried to get one off my brother's mate for £150. But.......He had promised it to someone else. I ended up buying a Mini Clubman. Loved it. That sky blue VW though. Que sera sera. Wish I'd brought me brolly. Tears aplenty.

Just bought this off eBay. Any idea of the best source for replacement rubbers for this jalousie/louver design. Once it's apart to be cleaned, I'll want new rubbers probably. Well, I'll want new rubbers regardless. I've seen the longer glass Westfalia replacement seals, but not this Devon/?Danbury half and half. I'm imagining you just trim lengths to size. Also...the mosquito net. Repair or new?? Scotland and the damp/hot midge weather comes to mind. I've been bitten here in Wales often enough. Also, sleeping with the windows open for a bit of fresh air.
2q0t73p.png

2qjd1xl.png

2zgez2q.png

2qtg1p2.png

2rcoo3r.png

244b8co.png

2z8n978.png

Hi Gray, that's going to look great on the van, how's the bodywork coming along ?

Hi Nick. Bodywork is coming along fine. Been in the workshop a few times now, so seeing it all from scratch. Bare bones and all. Paul shows me every angle and process. Bought a few more bits of required metal and an engine top half from vw heritage. I had a guy get in touch because I've been asking the Machynlleth community's advice about eco friendly insulation. He spoke of Paul's precision with welding techniques, and other inputs, even if it's hidden from view. Perfectionist apparently. So don't mind if it takes a bit longer. I'd love to take the window apart and rebuild. Been watching YouTube videos. Looks a pain in the backside though. Paul has a polisher, so will look a treat. So, fingers crossed, beach by summer. Photographs as soon as.

Hi Gray, you're going to have a great bus when Paul has finished I'm getting very jealous now :) just take your time with the window and take lots of pics as you take it apart and you will get a good result 8)

Engine is coming along nicely.
Paul asked, "Do you want the engine drilled and tapped for full flow oil while I'm in the build process"? I agreed after looking on the internet. This was the best reading.......link:

http://www.huelsmann.us/bugman/FilterTech.html

Paul's vision is to finish the rebuild project by end of July, or first week August. Need a break now after the intensity of starting my new job. It's been a nightmare few months learning new stuff and trying to settle with a new team. A couple of weeks holiday in the bus will be a dream.

Latest posts