XOver rebuild.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite. Blips still on board for the now and the near future. Now? Engine playing up. Bad misfire and query sticking valve in new heads. So, Paul to take out, strip down a little and consider solutions. The near future? It could be on the road and pootling along nicely. And following? I’ll get stuck in myself with bit by bit stuff. Weak pop top springs (to replace); rubber seals for front indicators; new wipers (not just the blades) the whole things; mine are ropey and very, very old and tired; oh! The small consideration of getting her through the MOT. So?.........I’m never going to be a whisker away. Even now, at virtual end of renovation, there will always be the considerations of tweaking and improving. So, I’m off to read about how to do these small endeavours. Goes with T2 VeeDub territory as we all know too well. But.......she’s almost back. Looks great though doesn’t she?

She does look great and sorry about the engine woes :(
Sure Paul will soon have the engine working!

Bus looking great [emoji106]

Nearly there now. NLA do poptop springs and I did mine couple of years ago. The struts stand up straight on their own now without any help when push the top up. The front indicator seals I replaced then as well, I had trouble finding ones that fitted correctly. I think in the end JK ones fitted the best although they looked slightly ragged around the edges. But the others from two other suppliers looked nice but were too small. Of course by now suppliers may have changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Mike. Thanks for the spring input anyway. I’ve looked at the JK front indicator seals. Profiled and not flat, which is good. JK do the Devon springs too. My old Danbury pop top, actually wasn’t a Danbury one at all. I think an old Splittie one was found in amongst a pile of cast offs and used. That or it used to be a rowing boat. They just turned it upside down. It leaked like mad. I won the Devon pop top for £350 off eBay. Needed a bit of renovating. Too good to miss, but the Danbury roof’s opening has been adapted to allow it to fit. Paul did a great job on it. I’m just going to be tweaking and making it more efficient when I get the bus back. Like.....Hold down hinges that are stronger than the originals next. Don’t want to fly like Ozzie on the Severn Bridge. 😳

Nice to see you’ve been Monty-ing out and about. Been a great summer. Cheers.

gninnam said:
She does look great and sorry about the engine woes :(
Sure Paul will soon have the engine working!

Cheers Andy. A few hiccups, but can be realised. As a nurse I kind of equate it to......the chronic conditions are now controlled and tamed. Surgery by Mr. Paul very successful. The acute conditions are always there as they surface. He’s picked up dodgy alternator, stuffed solenoid, broken diaphragm on the distributor too. Crossing my fingers it is just a regulator or something. And not the expensive alternator change. Also, solenoid on starter motor? Wonder if the whole starter is worth replacing anyway. Dizzy 009 used from the new top half engine I bought. Want original distributor stock. Not regretful updates that can’t cope and probably will result in dodgy power abilities. Flat spots halfway up a hill in Wales. I’ll go backwards.

Acute symptoms? Hopefully not on a regular basis. Far and few between, although I doubt it. I’ll be using the bus as my daily transport. So have to get on top of problems sharpish. Otherwise I’ll be walking or cycling 9 miles to work. No local buses in my part of the country at 6.30 in the morning. But.......Great learning curve for me again.

By the way. Andy? Are you actually Andy Powell from Wishbone Ash? It just you’re using Flying V guitars to keep your bus in the air. 😎

OK. State of play. All done. Need an MOT. Booked in for next Monday. Need insurance. Been looking at lots of the past threads here on the site for insurance advice. And put a couple of new replacement additions in to improve the quality. Also, get it from SORN status. Paul sent me a video of the bus running. Bit of a film maker he is. Goes around the bus opening up doors, tailgates and engine lid. Sounds peach.

Bit of saving for some trimmings now. New seat covers, curtains, madmatz front cab flooring and door boards lined. They can wait because, HEY.......we got the bus back!

Latest two pics. Kick boards to go in the front yet.

The bus is so perfect, she puts herself in gear! 👒👓👗👠. Oh! Gear stick knob. Got my glasses on now. What? Like this below? 😉. Bought from a wood turner a little south of Aberystwyth. Supporting local crafts people is a must. I used to be a potter so know how important these things are. Certainly get a few more choices over the months ahead. Offers different shapes and wood choices. I went for this beech. No.....Not playing on words there! Great price too. £10 plus p&p. Smells all varnishy and earthy. Lovely. Cheers Andy.

Hi Mike. He does. And you’ll be pleased to hear, like all good guys.....his name is Mike too. 😀. Mike Howells. Here is his website. Gives the full picture.

http://specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/wood/index.html

£10 - that looks to be a bargain - especially in the VW world - nice one!

gninnam said:
£10 - that looks to be a bargain - especially in the VW world - nice one!

Put this link in the above feedback. The best bit? How many times do you change gear on a journey? It’s nice holding a bit of individuality that’s been turned by someone who really cared for the result. http://specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/wood/index.html

Congratulations gray. It’s done, it’s raining☹️But then that’s Wales.
Enjoy.
I’ll keep all updated with Paul’s next nightmare!

Cheers Gareth. Paul’s taking a well earned break for 6 months........did I say months? I mean days. 😆. No, joking! In all likelihood he’ll be starting on yours now. I said you’d probably be jumping up and down saying Yay! Seriously though. You can see in this thread the application he puts in. Just a couple of front indicator seals, wiper arms/blades and engine foam seal. For preparation for MOT on Monday. Then, 🤞 all good to go.

Mind you.....he’s never happy. He’s bemoaning the scruffy seat covers! Says. “I will collect those parts towards end of week from Angie’s shop and get them fitted....the only thing that lets it down now is your front seats.....everything else has been replaced/ rebuilt!!”. Angie’s isn’t a newly found local VeeDub parts supplier. So don’t think we’ve found a new source 😉. It’s my wife’s shop in the village. 🙃 OK. He’s right about the seats, and the cab flooring, but I need to ‘save up monies’ little by expensive little from now on. I badly need some food and clothes now instead of metal and magic. Metal and magic are great for the spirit, but not the nutritional or sartorial needs. VeeDub parts are really pocket busting. Mind you, us nurses are about to get a wage rise after 5 years!! Wales RCN are on the final agreement hurdle. So, again, wages wise....🤞.

Latest posts