Winter Top Tips..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfunkyfresh

Reaction score
Looks like I might have to drive the camper through the winter, apart from a shit load of clothing to stay warm, what do recommend I complete to make sure I get the van through the winter with minimal rust etc..

I assume a good waxing is required..
Try to wash salt off
Heating system? OE System ok on frosty nights etc??

Cheers

SFF

Bilt Hamber Dynax s50 behind the panels, chassis, tailgate, all the nooks and crannies.

Make sure all your seals are in good order, if you have a garage then that will be good to protect it from the elements when not using it.

I'd also hose the bus down, hose underneath to wash off any road salt.

I'll be using my bus all over the winter.

Des

If you've got decent alloys remove them and run some plain steel rims during the winter, salt plays havoc on the laquer applied to alloys.

As long as your heating system is in good order, no leaks and the heat exchangers are properly connected then it should be OK,

Electric screen wash if you havent got one, simple fix for less than £15 and means you'll always have a clean screen.

5erge said:
Bilt Hamber Dynax s50 behind the panels, chassis, tailgate, all the nooks and crannies.

Make sure all your seals are in good order, if you have a garage then that will be good to protect it from the elements when not using it.

I'd also hose the bus down, hose underneath to wash off any road salt.

I'll be using my bus all over the winter.

Des

As a snowplow?? :)

if your bus is nice and you want to hang on to it for years then don't drive it in snow and salt.

the cost of a banger for the winter will be far less than what you'll end up paying for rust repairs to the bus.

If you have to drive it through winter, just cover everything in waxoyl (or equivalent).

Use loads of cavity wax in all the chassis box sections, roof structure, doors, etc etc.

Keep it clean and hose off the underside to keep the salt off.

Make sure the heating is connected and working properly and you'll be fine. Even at temps below 0C I don't need a jumper when doing motorway runs in my van.

I've been using mine in all weathers for 7 years, but it wasn't pristine when I got it... if I had a minter, I'd probably think twice. :)

DSC_2256-2_zps6a503ba8.jpg

They're not bad in snow...

Latest posts