Vintage Speed Exhaust & Watling Tow Bar

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm toying with the idea of fitting the VS exhaust to the Van. It would be standard tailpipe one.

I currently have a BugPack quiet pack exhaust, with a 4-1 merged header. The inlet pipe into the muffler has been modified at some point before i bought the van (5 years ago), so it's angled back slightly further to clear the tow bar. It's blowing slightly now, and the muffler is under strain as it's not supported - so the stress is on the header section.

Having looked at the same exhaust on JK, mine has been modified by the look of it (see image below). I don't think this will make a difference to the VS though.

Can anyone confirm if it will fit?

(The tow bar is used to lash my dogs onto on long leads when parked, and also used for bike carrier - may also get a Westy Trailer in the future).

Thanks guys.

Mate, to be honest, it is impossible to tell without measurements.
I am sure that tow bar could be modified to fit around the standard style VS if needed though.

Here is a Gadget (westy clone) tow bar and VS.

y3ahedup.jpg

dyry7any.jpg

I thought the VS were the same fitting dimensions as the standard exhaust, if so I would have thought it would fit, why would Watling make a tow bar that didn't fit with a standard exhaust?

Not 100% but someone told me this recently because I may be buying one but I have a Gadget westy towbar, thanks Jonboylaw for the photos, it confirms it will fit with my set up. Out of interest has anyone noticed any improvement in performance over a merged header single muffler, I have a 1914cc. So if it improves performance as well as sounds and looks good it's a given...

Sorry to hijack

matt-me said:
I thought the VS were the same fitting dimensions as the standard exhaust, if so I would have thought it would fit, why would Watling make a tow bar that didn't fit with a standard exhaust?

Not 100% but someone told me this recently because I may be buying one but I have a Gadget westy towbar, thanks Jonboylaw for the photos, it confirms it will fit with my set up. Out of interest has anyone noticed any improvement in performance over a merged header single muffler, I have a 1914cc. So if it improves performance as well as sounds and looks good it's a given...

Sorry to hijack

No hijack pal - useful info.

My towbar looks to have been altered to go over the merged header section, so I presume the exhaust was in place prior to the towbar.

The Watling should fit a standard exhaust I'm sure - if not then it'd be strange, as you say. I thought I also read the same somewhere too - that the standard exhaust and VS exhaust are pretty much the same fitting and dimensions, give or take a little? Also, your point over a merged header -V- a VS is also a good question - as again, I think I've read a 4-1 merge stills give higher performance?

Thanks to Jon & Matt for details and images.

I had to modify my Westy Towbar side mounting bracket to get it to clear my Vintage Speed exhaust, if was too close on the tail pipe section so ground a piece of the bracket away to clear it.

From memory the watling unit hangs quite low in the middle and you may struggle with clearance on the main box, worth getting someone to measure up for you before committing to the price of a VS exhaust. The VS main box takes up most of the space behind the removable valance and is quite a large unit.........but sounds fantastic :lol: :lol:

Easiest option is to just go and get one of my exhausts fitted! its custom so will fit around everything and its done to your spec! :mrgreen: 8)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=42483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

easy said:
Easiest option is to just go and get one of my exhausts fitted! its custom so will fit around everything and its done to your spec! :mrgreen: 8)

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=42483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like your style Easy. Although travelling from South Yorkshire to Bristol and back in a Bay is not the easiest journey to make - done it a few times already!

I'd seen your thread prior anyway - some good set ups.

Cheers.

Graham L said:
I had to modify my Westy Towbar side mounting bracket to get it to clear my Vintage Speed exhaust, if was too close on the tail pipe section so ground a piece of the bracket away to clear it.

From memory the watling unit hangs quite low in the middle and you may struggle with clearance on the main box, worth getting someone to measure up for you before committing to the price of a VS exhaust. The VS main box takes up most of the space behind the removable valance and is quite a large unit.........but sounds fantastic :lol: :lol:

Thanks Graham. Yeah, could do with some measures I guess. Distance from silencer to bumper and distance from silencer to ground. Also the overall width of the silencer. So if anybody wants to volunteer!

The silencer is bigger than the original one isn't it?

If i took off the tow bar, is there anywhere else on the rear i could lash two dog leads to (obviously not the bumper)? Both dogs are around 7st each though….

Thanks.

Steve B said:
easy said:

I like your style Easy. Although travelling from South Yorkshire to Bristol and back in a Bay is not the easiest journey to make - done it a few times already!

I'd seen your thread prior anyway - some good set ups.

Cheers.

Its not that far and you will even get a good cup of tea! or coffee ;) :lol:

jonboylaw said:
Mate, to be honest, it is impossible to tell without measurements.
I am sure that tow bar could be modified to fit around the standard style VS if needed though.

Here is a Gadget (westy clone) tow bar and VS.

y3ahedup.jpg

dyry7any.jpg
Excellent you just answered one of my questions ;-)
Cheers for these pics Jonboy !

Sent from Johns iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest posts