Vehicle diagnostic tool

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjb01

Reaction score
Hi guys I’m looking at getting a diagnostic tool for various motors.
I just wondered what you use?
I’ve use some launch tools and they seem ok. Some are seriously expensive compared to others.
Any advice would be appreciated
Regards Dan

I understand that! Just thought that with a forum full of amateur mechanics that people would probably use one on their daily’s from to time.
Obviously they don’t

I picked a no name thing up from Amazon for about £15 that plugs in and seems to be near enough as accurate as the ridiculously expensive ones at a mates garage.

Yeah likewise I have an OBD2 reader, from Amazon about £10, that connects to my phone via bluetooth, can see diag codes etc and clear them if necessary. Was useful when I change the O2 sensor on my Mini and had to clear the code the faulty one had set off.

I have an OBDII reader for modern motors, £30+ i think, can't remember where from. It's OK, can reset some faults but not service schedule nag on my A3.
There are loads about.
If you want something more specific, get mftr software like VAGCOM on a laptop and a harness to connect up.
For the bus I use a multimeter or simple test lamp, or swap out plugs/leads for spares if suspected dodgy.
There is a diagnostic plug in the engine bay on some buses, if it's there and the wiring is correct, it has test points for most items which you can use a meter to test from as long as you know what to result to expect.

I used to have a Crypton diagnostic machine , great on old school stuff with the oscilloscope to see real time stuff.

i have the innovate LM2 , it is invaluable for getting the jetting of your carburetors into the correct range. Most people are driving around with a rich mixture and have no clue, because it "runs good"

the LM2 logs the info too so you can download it and graph it to see what's happening, instead of trying to watch numbers flashing on the gauge.
There are a few motors that we have dialled in, that the owners thought they were good but as soon as we hooked the gauge up they found they were in the 10's on the AFR, when they should be in the 12.5-13.5 range. They were much happier after re-jetting their carbs.

2063080.jpg

Snail and a snap-on tach/advance timing gun, 34's too and nice big K&N's.
No doubt a rolling road tune up and rejet could get a bit more out of it but they want min £500 to do it near me + jets, wether used or not. It has a lot of garish looking scoobies and evo's outside usually, they still do old cars but pricey.
She runs OK, and i kind of enjoy the tinkering when fine tuning as you drive, based on how it sounds and feels.
I have better things to spend the money on, if I had it to spare.

i have the innovate LM2 , it is invaluable for getting the jetting of your carburetors into the correct range. Most people are driving around with a rich mixture and have no clue, because it "runs good"

the LM2 logs the info too so you can download it and graph it to see what's happening, instead of trying to watch numbers flashing on the gauge.
There are a few motors that we have dialled in, that the owners thought they were good but as soon as we hooked the gauge up they found they were in the 10's on the AFR, when they should be in the 12.5-13.5 range. They were much happier after re-jetting their carbs.

2063080.jpg
Interesting! Where in the exhaust system did you install the O2 sensor? I assume it is in the silencer unit?

Interesting! Where in the exhaust system did you install the O2 sensor? I assume it is in the silencer unit?
Usually in the collector, but the vintage speed exhaust has them on the ends of the muffler, or there is a bolt on tailpipe mount for those who don’t have an O2 bung in the exhaust

Usually in the collector, but the vintage speed exhaust has them on the ends of the muffler, or there is a bolt on tailpipe mount for those who don’t have an O2 bung in the exhaust
I was thinking on an Early Bay exhaust. I suppose you would have to weld an 18mm socket onto the bottom of the silencer, (muffler). That way you would get a mix of gasses from all cylinders.

Latest posts