Tyres - 175 55 15 - where can I get high load rated tyres?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug1981

Reaction score
I'm currently running 175 55 15's on the front but have never paid any attention to the load rating of the tyres before... Currently running 77's but everything I've read recently suggests I the correct load rating should be more like 85 on the front...

My steering isn't the best and tyres are close to being replaced anyway so looking for replacements now.

I see quite a few of you running 175 55 15s on yours, so do you run higher load rating tyres and if so can you recommend a make/model please?

I can find loads of 175 65 15s with 88 load rating but don't really want to change current stance :(

Thanks in advance...

Hey Doug

I think you will find tyre size determines the load rating, so regardless of manufacturer all tyres 175 55 15 will have that same rating. You may be able to get an XL rated tyre in that size, but they will run on 45psi and only give you an extra 2 on the loading scale.

I've found some 185 55's, 86 LR, XL rated..... Going to be fitting to 5.5" BRMs, anybody know if these will be too wide. Checked online and seem to be in tolerance for my wheel width, but guessing wider tyre = heavier steering. ( I have narrowed beam so not worried about arch clearance)

Depending on how low you are I wouldn't think you would have many issues. I have a standard beam, down a couple of inches on adjusters and am running 15's with an ET20 with 195's on which actually give me a commercial rated tyre, albeit they don't sit as low or look as pretty. With a narrowed beam 185's (which is original width) with a decent offset (guessing BRM's may be et20 too) should fit I'm sure.

Have a word with your fitter/supplier - my local guy was happy to let me try for size and offered to change if they didn't fit.

Dave

Thanks for the tips, found a local garage who have some 185/55s in stock that they're going to try on mine and see how they go :D

Will feed back and let you know how I got on.

Latest posts