Tune up problems, all sorted now thanks, simple human error

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandkatrina

Reaction score
Quick reply needed please..

I'm sorting my engine out as I've had a new carb and dizzy, svda solex
Set the points gaps

Removed vac advance pipe plugged both ends , timed up to 30 deg btdc ish at full advance

Connected vac pipe back up

Checked timing now and it's around 22 btdc at idle

Have I done this correct ?

Or is it all fooked up

Cheers in advance

is vac pipe connected to port on left of the carb?

sometimes people connect to port on manifold and it's wrong one

As above. Also, what does it fall at at idle with vac hose disconnected?

If it's connected to the correct port, but the throttle is slightly open at idle due to an incorrectly adjusted carb, it could cause the above too.

Here is a picture of my setup, vac pipe connected on the left as you look at it

8 deg with vac pipe disconnected

25 deg connected

Both before tdc

0AC6FE3E-786C-42C7-9497-A8DBD9BB1974-1441-00000469FF047175_zpsca50670d.jpg

what carb and dizzy is it mate?

I can't see that number 5 port on your carb anyway

Is the choke completely off and also is the fast idle screw set correctly? IE The fast idle screw is just touching the cam then wound in quarter turn and not wound in to lift the revs.

My understanding of carbs suited to SVDA dizzys is that when the throttle is closed the throttle plate covers the vacuum hole so cuts off vacuum to the dizzy. So I'm thinking if it's held open by the fast idle screw it could have an effect.

Also that fuel pipe connection to the pump looks like its hanging off a bit

actually I can't see any wire going to the choke, is there one?

where is that red wire connected to your oil pressure switch going?

bluenose said:
Is the choke completely off and also is the fast idle screw set correctly? IE The fast idle screw is just touching the cam then wound in quarter turn and not wound in to lift the revs.

This ^^^

After the throttle is set, idle adjustment should be done with screws 4 and 6 :)

Is your idle cutoff (electric) switch working correctly? With ignition on, it should click when you connect/disconnect the wire to it.

The choke share the same live as the fuel cut of solenoid and seems to be working fine,
Adjusted the fast idle screw so it touches the cam then backed of 1/4 of a turn.

Oil px wire was brittle and snapped so replaced with red wire goes into the loom.

Adjusted the idle screw and air screw iaw the noddy guide

All I can think from your replys is the throttle plate might be sticking open slightly.

Van drives good but just worried about cooking the engine.

Really need clarification on this one

Changed the carb , still a solex

Disconnected the vac pipe and blanked timed to 28 deg btdc at full advance

Reconnected vac pipe idle timing now at 8 ish deg btdc

Rev the engine max advance 40 btdc

:x

Does anyone actually recheck after the vac pipe is reconnected ?

If this figure is wrong , can I just set max advance to 28 with vac pipes connected

Could really do with a chat about this or a good answer. On here

I would be really thankful as the kids want to go camping in the morning

John 07795198580

johnandkatrina said:

If this figure is wrong , can I just set max advance to 28 with vac pipes connected

John 07795198580

I check at idle and full advance. 40 BTDC is too much

What does it idle at now with the vac hose disconnected??

Post up the part number of the dizzy. or check off oldvolkshome what your dizzy number should be set to. My dizzy is vac only so different but is set to idle at 0TDC and full advance to 32BTDC.

I asked the question on here why we disconnect the vac hose to set the timing and no one seems to know. I set my timing and carb with the vac line connected and it made no difference whatsoever so I would guess you could try setting 32btdc max advance with vac line connected and see what happens.

Maybe someone else can comment on this but it looks weird in the pic. Where I would expect plug 1 to be going, the lead is heading off to plug 3 or 4.

bluenose said:
johnandkatrina said:

John 07795198580

I check at idle and full advance. 40 BTDC is too much

What does it idle at now with the vac hose disconnected??

Post up the part number of the dizzy. or check off oldvolkshome what your dizzy number should be set to. My dizzy is vac only so different but is set to idle at 0TDC and full advance to 32BTDC.

I asked the question on here why we disconnect the vac hose to set the timing and no one seems to know. I set my timing and carb with the vac line connected and it made no difference whatsoever so I would guess you could try setting 32btdc max advance with vac line connected and see what happens.

Maybe someone else can comment on this but it looks weird in the pic. Where I would expect plug 1 to be going, the lead is heading off to plug 3 or 4.

Cheers for reply

Idle with vac disconnected is around 7.5 btdc

Dizzy number is
Jfud 4, 0231168015, 043905205L

In the pic wire is lead is going to 4 , firing order 1432

Sod it , I give up 009 getting fitted in the morning :cry:

You are getting more advance than you 28 btdc because you are blipping the throttle I am guessing. You should see 28 BTDC Wide Open Throttle, ie no vacuum, if you back off the throttle you whack a large vac signal into the mix and get a large amount of extra advance. This is fine as the engine is running lean, no load and has a slow flame front. If you are seeing 40 BTDC wide open under acceleration then you have a problem.
Time to 28-30 BTDC vac off at >3500 rpm as before and all check at tick over. Then connect the vac and check max advance WOT and I bet it is 28-30 btdc, release the throttle and watch it jump up.

Here is my megajolt map, notice the overrun advance (high revs, high vacuum)

u2epujyd.jpg

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Great answer, , I think that could be it, so set timing at full throttle sustained to 28/ 30 btdc , reconnect vac pipe , can't advance anymore

The first carb you had fitted should have a cap or plug at no.5 on a bus, I guess on a beetle it would connect to the air filter. Hope you get it sorted and enjoy your camping.

The important figure is the max advance on Mechanical, with out the vac signal as this determines the advance under max load where you would get pre-ignition. The vac signal gives extra advance where needed, eg when pulling from idle and when you lift off on over run.
Just verify you see 30 degree No vac at 3500rpm and for peace of mind check with vac connected WOT and over-run and see the difference.

PM me if you want to talk it through.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the replys everyone

Jonboylaw , you got it spot on, I must of been blipping the throttle, checked and adjusted valves this morning , tok her round the block for a spin, checked timing full throttle sustained no blipping, 28/30 btdc vac pipes blanked, reconnected pipes same again full throttle 28/30 btdc.

Happy now :D

Mmm now have a fully reconditioned solex and manifold spare now.

Latest posts