Too Rusty? '69 Crewcab

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly a sharpened paint scraper, a sharpened bearing scraper and 400 wet'n'dry...wet.

There's a long way to go, I don't see it being finished before it sees the road :D

:party0046: Hey Moler,

After spending months reading your red rocket resto and just being utterly amazed with your restoration skills both
in technical ability, problem solving and general attention to detail , to say I almost pee'd my pants when you bought
an early bay and started posting on the same forum as me is an understatement. I've just taken out my first ever bay
engine (Today) and took me all morning after spending all of yesterday morning trying to get the bumber and towbar
off (Must be a knack to it). I'm now fully inspired to strip the engine and rebuild it with a nicely sprayed up set of tin ware
and also an engine bay tart up too.

Bay crew cabs are my next love so am uber/ultra/extremly excited about your new thread. Keep up the excellent posts
and good luck with the new bay. Has the rocket gone yet ??

L8er

Rave :rocknroll:

Wow - what a thread. Congrats guys - love to see them progress. Early bay crew cabs rock.
I get so many comments and smiles out in mine - LOVE them.

(I've just fitted replacment front door cards and all seat covers - The original ft cards are good. Couple splits in the ft passenger seat - rears both unsplit. All are dark beige, clean but sunburnt - pm me if they are of interest to you)
Al

Thanks guys :)

I've knackered my back again so progress on the crew isn't going start quite as soon as I'd have liked :roll:

Oooooh, I feel your pain, spent the last two summers with a slipped disc and subsequently not much progress on the bus. Did give me some time to spend thinking about the wiring though, use the time wisely if you can make it past the pain.

Cool Bus!! Nice and Rare :D

You see less Early Bay Doka's than splits. Have you managed to get the bed off yet?

I restored a 61 crew cab and once I got what was left of the bed off it wasn't pretty..... I purchased my new bed from Schofields, it was Genuine VW and it wasn't crazy expensive. I think it was supposed to be for a Bay.

Are you going to spot weld or glue/bond the new bed on?

Good luck with the project!!

snow_pikey said:
Cool Bus!! Nice and Rare :D

You see less Early Bay Doka's than splits. Have you managed to get the bed off yet?

I restored a 61 crew cab and once I got what was left of the bed off it wasn't pretty..... I purchased my new bed from Schofields, it was Genuine VW and it wasn't crazy expensive. I think it was supposed to be for a Bay.

Are you going to spot weld or glue/bond the new bed on?

Good luck with the project!!
I've done very little as I want the split ready to go before I do any work on him, that and my back playing up again.
I haven't thought about fastening the load bed down, although to begin with it's gonna be a plywood one until I fully decided what direction I'm going in.

I have got myself a share in a lock up, so progress won't be hindered by the crap weather, and we've just got a lovely 4 post lift to go in, so should make life even easier than my current lift...
0137.jpg

... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dead Jealous!! I would really Dig a workshop and a ramp, just going to have to settle for a bit of the garden for now.

I just thought I would ask about the bed because I spot welded mine on and if I did it again I would bond it on. Quicker cleaner no distortion etc. You would still be crimping it round the edge so a nice finnish.

Anyway just my thoughts..... enjoy the new lock up and I hope your backs feeling a bit better.

Matt.

Ahh man, a workshop with a host of commercials in it. Thats like
working mans heaven with extra VW :mrgreen:

finally got our lift in and bolted down and all working 'kin well chuffed
059-5.jpg

060-5.jpg

061-4.jpg

and its a 'free-wheeler' so you can fully support a vehicle and drop main ramps down and work with all wheels off
took some fettling as there was a difference in levels on the floor of 3 1/2" from front to back so had to pack it up but will be grouting all the feet and plates after bit of use and re-check rawl bolts

And before I could get my crewcab on there, there's a bloody Caddy pick-up instead :roll: :lol:

I finally have some progress to report on :)

The Dormobile that I was supposed to be welding over the winter is now not happening so the Crewcab is at the top of the list, well it's at the top of my list, apparently the kitchen is at the top of the wifes list :roll: :lol:
I started by removing the load bed, been wanting to do this for ages...
0138.jpg

0139.jpg

...I then had a tyre fitted to one of the rear alloy wheels I have for the crew, and I think I have a problem.
0140.jpg

I got my lift moved into the lock up too so I wasted no time in stripping the gearbox and shafts out...
0141.jpg

0142.jpg

...next up was to strip the brakes off, already loosened the nuts while on the deck...
0143.jpg

...surprisingly after a quick squirt of WD40 the adjusters, err adjusted :msn4: so removing the drum was easy...
0144.jpg

...the same happened on this side too. Although the seals aren't serviceable, the cylinders took no effort to unseize...
0145.jpg

That'll do for now :D

All of the nearside outer sill needs attention...
0147.jpg

0148.jpg

...inner isn't too bad, but has suffered a crush on the seam...
0149.jpg

...there's a bit of damage to the bottom of the rear jacking point...
0150.jpg

...the rear inner arch is amazing...
0151.jpg

0152.jpg

...I had a quick go at the under door sill to have a look at the centre sill, and found yet another wasp nest.
0153.jpg

Finding that reminded me that I still hadn't dropped the pedal pan, remembering that we've had 2 Ghecko from the Crews the potential for something was high...
0154.jpg

...oh well, only empty snail shells and seeds! Much more interesting is what was underneath on the bus...
0155.jpg

0156.jpg

0157.jpg

0158.jpg

0159.jpg

...I do love these dry(ish) buses, everything in good condition, no layers of undersill covering a raft of previous 'work'! Still learning the differences on this early chassis though.

:)

Love it!, your split was awesome and im positive this will be, are you going to convert the bay to rack and pinon steering ? When you did your split you used a t25 bevel box does this reverse the direction? As didn't you fit a lhd rack in a rhd van

Thanks dude :D

Yes I fitted a T25 bevel box and it does reverse the direction, but I used a RHD rack. A LHD is usually used to clear the master cylinder, but I found a way through ;)

The resto has come to a bit of a standstill, as I've been recomissioning a '65 RHD split camper that has have been welded, a true once in a life time discovery. That should be finished by the end of next week, then I have a few small jobs to do, then it'll back on the crewcab :)

Latest posts