Timing starting issues

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed my coil HT leads and plugs today. I had tried to change my 009 for the original dizzy but the original is nacked. 009 back in for now.

Everything now is back together. At TDC the the rotar arm is pointing at 5 o'clock as per all diagrams I have seen. Plugs are gapped correctly. HT leads are attached to Dizzy 1,4,3,2. It started, ran like a dog with my foot to the floor. A mate moved the dizzy and we got it idling rough. Jumped out to attach the timing gun and before I could stop him he moved the dizzy again and engine died. It now won't start so left it until tomorrow. I think I have flooded it.

What should I do now. This is gripping my nads

Am I right in saying that when I am at TDC the number one piston rockers or tappets have a bit of movement. If I was 180 out there would be no movement

That should be correct having play at TDC of that cylinder.

Have you checked your points gap, assuming your running points?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift 2 using Tapatalk

It's a 009 electronic dizzy. Going to buy a cheap test lamp tomorrow and check all again. If I can just get it started I can get the timing light on it.

I have had similar issues in the past, don't rule anything out just because the book says it's right!
The electronic dizzy I had didn't line up like any of the pics, if memory serves, it was about 180 out?
Also put a new set of plugs in recently, set to correct gap, and couldn't get it to run, a friend came to look and confirmed the gap was correct but suggested we open it a little, it ran perfectly once he'd done that

Success :D fired up this morning like dream. One issue. I used a circuit tester to get static timing. The screwdriver with wire and crocodile clip type. Anyway, every time I placed the screwdriver on the coil it lit up light never went out. Why?

Did you get an answer why the light never went out? This may help others with this problem -
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73145&p=585406#p585406

Latest posts