The Oldest Bay On The Forum

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[photobucket http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/ben568j/IMG-20130514-WA0001.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ][/photobucket]
here's a pic of my uk 68 bus. ( nov67)

ben freeman said:
IMG-20130514-WA0001.jpg

here's a pic of my uk 68 bus. ( nov67)
FTFY :)

Got a December 7 th 1967 thought it was old till I read this
Still not that bad will upload pic of it soon
When dvla send me the reg

My dads got the speed master can now , he got it for me. Although he made me buy my own bay and he love it to much ..

I have a birth certificate from vw, the pickup was built aug 7th, 67 (i saw a couple of "E" reg cars at volksworld yesterday too)

gorr2000 said:
I have a birth certificate from vw, the pickup was built aug 7th, 67 (i saw a couple of "E" reg cars at volksworld yesterday too)

My 71 Westy is beginning to look like a Late Bay after reading this !!!!
Apart from the BIG rear lights...The front indicators in the wrong place.... etc etc :lol:

Trikky2 said:
StarBugs said:
Ours is a 1968. Chassisnr: 218002488, registered 18.09.67 in Oslo, produced 08.08.67. It could be the first one in Norway, but we can´t document it. At least not yet. :)

More info:
http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=11236

Geir, StarBugs

That's a very early one indeed. Does it still have the eber?

I still have it, but it is not installed. Don't know if it is the original eber that came with the car, but it is a BN4 and is identical to another I have seen from 67 (68).

Geir

I confess i have been absent from this forum for a while but now I'm back and this thread came up in response to an idle wondering of mine, what's more is that it doesn't seem to have been resolved, ie what is the oldest UK spec RHD bay known?
I know that my van is fairly early as chasing parts for it, especially panels, has revealed. is there anyone out there who can confirm where it stands?
M Plate info:
23-8
11-396
EN- 2140 383836 8010436

Chassis No from Vin plate: 218010436

From this I gather that it was built 23 Aug 67. It was registered in Oct 67. (so it has a proper 'F' reg)
It started life as a velvet green panel van with a beige interior. The engine is the original type 1600 single port though it is not the original. This is a factory replacement which it received quite early in its life. Strangely the original log book lists the engine capacity as 1300, but I suspect this is a DVLA error as I am not aware of any of these being fitted with 1300 cc units. If it was I can understand why it was upgraded to 1600, it's not exactly a power house as it is, but it does go well.
I acquired it a long time ago as a barn find, before they were sought after, and repaired it so that it could be used as my workshop van. Now the business is long sold but I have kept the van. I am only the second owner and bought it personally from the first one, so I know its history but have few records to back it up.
It has been repaired and renovated many times and only the core of the van is original metal but it has always been repaired to the original spec. The only changes have been to the colour, (now dark Blue with a white roof) the front seats (I still have the originals) and the fitment of opening quarter lights to the front doors (a huge improvement).
In reward for its years of faithful service I recently gave it a complete suspension/ steering/ brakes rebuild. it needs a little more attention to the body and would really benefit from a new wiring harness.
However it is still a panel van, still has the engine/transmission I got with it, still on drum brakes, and is still the 'proper' ride height!
Who do I apply to for official VW info on their older vehicles? I would love to know how many potentially older UK bays there might be.
Does this forum have a definitive list in date or chassis number order of the various types & models that were built? it takes a long time to trawl through every post looking for info snippets.
I await with anticipation

Mine is a UK-spec RHD Dormobile, February 1968, so I'm pretty sure there are older ones about, as that's six months into production - but is it pretty early.

It is also a pukka F-plate.

It was originally velvet green too, as you describe (and will be again once funds permit!!) - click on the banner down here and it gives you a breakdown of the specs.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-23238.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rich

Latest posts