Supertramp's European Adventure - (Now over, safely home)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the daft question but you haven't simply ran out of fuel?
Sounds like a quick fix either way as it might just be some crap from the tank blocking the "new" filter that is probably by the gearbox under the bus.

Sure you will be rolling again very soon.

StuF said:
Sorry for the daft question but you haven't simply ran out of fuel?
Sounds like a quick fix either way as it might just be some crap from the tank blocking the "new" filter that is probably by the gearbox under the bus.

Sure you will be rolling again very soon.

No I put £40 in just as I got off the ferry. Here's me thinking it'd be the traffic cops ruining my road trip home. Foiled by my own bus!
I'm sure it is a simple fix. I have the weekend off to deal with it. Bar my one day at aircooled!

Now, own up, who wants to say I told you so?? :lol:

Blocked fuel filter or fuel line then - probably some muck from the tank sludging up the lines.
Sounds like the worst it could be is the pump but I doubt that's the issue.

Have you been able to check the fuel line feeding the fuel pump to see if petrol is passing through from the tank? I usually clamp mine but just pinching it should be enough for you to know if there is an issue with your pump.

Ok not quite an hour later but here's the full run through of the trip home:

Barry picked me up at the airport and took me to the bus. I had a quick test drive to check the work that Barry had done and all seemed well, so onto the trailer heading towards the Hook of Holland.

Leaving it's recent home
59924d6732d67c9114df49a60bbafeb5.jpg

Arriving at the ferry port. No other cars in sight.
8a802d7a73a0cbe1656b6f9bbdd48b77.jpg

Quick Sandwich
4167a107c1b39225ffd8042e058778bf.jpg

I duly drove through check in and got my ticket and then onto customs where I was greeted by a Dutch customs official complete with aviator sunglasses. He was not impressed about the state of my bus, lacking 'export plates', only having a US plate on the front and so proceeded to give me a dressing down. After a few minutes he then turned to his colleague and I can only assume they thought it wasn't worth the hassle as he said be on your way and I boarded the ferry.

Safely on the ferry
037e1d6fc29ce97a746aeddf5fba2760.jpg

Goodbye Holland, sunbathing on the deck
7d2b298afd7007ab036234d55c07bac1.jpg

Hello England, cloud :(
aa36348b24dba68662d078b330089dd1.jpg

Got through customs without even a how-do-you-do. The official asked where I was headed and that was it, much to the displeasure of a lady in a motorhome who got out of her vehicle, tapped on my window and explained (with a big smirk on her face) that I wouldn't get into England as 'In England we have licence plates and you don't have one therefore you're not getting in). Her face was a picture when I put on my very best Manchester accent and politely asked her to mind her own. Was then hilarious watching customs search her motorhome.
Also in the queue a German in a Type 25 pulled up, flashed me the peace sign then said 'Yeah it looks like crap but it's old so it's ok' :shock: :? Thank you I guess...

Drove towards Colchester when loss of power and slowed to a stop, fortunately pulling off the main road.
07f7261ca39365efa4723bbcee270489.jpg

Now this bit is embarrassing. If you read above Stu asked if there was fuel in the bus. I replied that I had filled up. I was under the impression that I had half a tank, not so...The fuel gauge is clearly broken and therefore the cause of my rather dramatic break down, not me :msn4: .

Driven to the petrol station, how embarrassing.
38412bb5805dbce134245b81c0d3458c.jpg

Time is now 01:05am and I still have over 200 miles to get home. My plan was to camp in Colchester but the campsite was now closed. So I drove until 3, slept in the bus at the Cambridge service station which was very novel. I was sure that the black widows remaining in my bus would eat me, so tucked myself into my bed for the night.

Sleeping quarters with temporary curtains
bcfc32f0232d0a675fa20e233cd5ff79.jpg

Waking up
749da31fb406d3ba87aa45367d3d2b0a.jpg

Determined not to run out of fuel again I filled up. Whilst doing so two traffic police pulled in and started walking towards me. Obviously I was cool as a cucumber :msn4: The first approaches me 'What year is it??' '71' 'Awesome car' and off they went...
So drove the rest of the way cruising at 55mph without a hiccup. Gear changes are smooth, engine sounds good and not too loud, disc brakes make a massive difference!

And finally, home
502d1eff39905db996139ed34d5af230.jpg

So, not quite a European adventure, but I did get to drive home from Harwich to Manchester, few laughs, one or two tears and a couple of spiders later and I have my 1971 Westfalia. Thanks for all the support!

Top journey mate - I am sure it will be one of many!

Run out of fuel - NO Never! :lol: :lol:

StuF said:
Top journey mate - I am sure it will be one of many!

Run out of fuel - NO Never! :lol: :lol:

:oops: :oops:
Let this be a lesson to all. Now I've just got to replace my sender :roll:
Overall I really enjoyed it and can't wait to get out and about in the bus.

Check its not the gauge or the wiring first - changing the sender is a right arse!

I cut an access panel out to get to mine rather than drain the tank and bother removing tow-bar, bumper, engine and firewall to get at it!
I tested my gauge and unfortunately that was fine!

All the fun of a nice new bus! :D

Good trip - home at last eh!
Didnt realise despite following your posts but you could have crashed here as im only just outside of colchester, sorry my bad :oops:

StuF said:
Check its not the gauge or the wiring first - changing the sender is a right arse!

I cut an access panel out to get to mine rather than drain the tank and bother removing tow-bar, bumper, engine and firewall to get at it!
I tested my gauge and unfortunately that was fine!

All the fun of a nice new bus! :D

How do you go about checking the gauge? In sure mine is playing up.

Do you have a multimeter?

This pic is from Samba:

233295.jpg

Your dash should be just like this (flipped over if RHD).
The Fuel Gauge terminals are at the top right.

Pull the Brw wire off the "G" terminal on the gauge.
Connect multimeter to chassis earth (dash metal) and to the Brw wire. Set meter to Ohms range. It should read between Zero Ohms (Full) and 100 Ohms (Empty). More important, it should be quite steady even driving the Bus.

That test should help decide if the sender is faulty or not.

You can test the gauge by jumpering the "G" terminal (where Brw wire was) to chassis earth. Gauge should go to FULL.

That should give you something to work with.
If a previous owner modified the circuit with non-orig parts, all bets are off. :D

Info taken from speedyjims website - he helped me sort my gauge issue

StuF said:
Do you have a multimeter?

This pic is from Samba:

233295.jpg

Your dash should be just like this (flipped over if RHD).
The Fuel Gauge terminals are at the top right.

Pull the Brw wire off the "G" terminal on the gauge.
Connect multimeter to chassis earth (dash metal) and to the Brw wire. Set meter to Ohms range. It should read between Zero Ohms (Full) and 100 Ohms (Empty). More important, it should be quite steady even driving the Bus.

That test should help decide if the sender is faulty or not.

You can test the gauge by jumpering the "G" terminal (where Brw wire was) to chassis earth. Gauge should go to FULL.

That should give you something to work with.
If a previous owner modified the circuit with non-orig parts, all bets are off. :D

Info taken from speedyjims website - he helped me sort my gauge issue

Cheers for that, il add that to my to do list!! :D

Great road trip and write up 8) I also ran out of fuel on my way home from picking up my previous bus, I thought there was enough fuel and gauge was quarter full :lol: although not funny at the time, enjoy your new bus it looks fantastic.

I think that was a great story and I`m glad you got you and the bus home safe. With a little bit of hindsight (20-20), this little episode is surely one of those things that is waiting to catch out anyone who purchases one of these little beauties. How many of us on here know they have fuel guage issues ?? I hear every now and then someone adding to a post that their guage isn`t too special or wobbly etc etc :shock: So anyone selling a bus,, would they neccesarily remember to tell you it has an ` `iffy ` ` guage ;) Or if they have never had the bus down to less than a quarter full, would they know ?? Or if they are dealing in busses would they know ?? So what I`m suggesting, is every time you hear that someone is going to pick up a bus, tell them to take a spare gallon of fuel with them and tell them why. Also if you have recently purchased a bus, it might be a smart thing to carry a gallon until you know your bus and the guage a little more intimately.
But what a smashing adventure :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Just a thought :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

Thanks for the kind replies, now that I've had a decent sleep and can look back I really enjoyed it, can't wait for some more.
I agree ozziedog, I had based a lot of what I know about VWs on my last bus so didn't think the gauge could be lying to me. Fun nonetheless.

Grace was concerned and will even though quite confident will always now carry a spare gallon of fuel . Well done !

Linney said:
Grace was concerned and will even though quite confident will always now carry a spare gallon of fuel . Well done !

Cheers Paul. How you getting on with her? You'll have to get some pictures up. Want to see this new headliner.

Yes I will post some pics , all done just waiting on curtains being made !

Latest posts