SOME TENT TECHNICAL TIPS PLEASE

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biddy2101

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This bank holiday weekend has been all about the Kevin Khyam, our motordome sleeper driveaway awning.

A year ago we lent our tent out for a school trip that had to be abandoned through the night due to the poor weather conditions. Wet & windy... Due to the weather that followed getting the tent back, the Khyam never got taken out to dry when it returned :(

The next time we used it obviously there were lots of little black dots all over the inside of the roof. I have trawled through many a web page on the interweb looking for ways to clean mildew off of tents. The one solution that kept coming up was salt, lemon juice/vinegar in hot water & a sponge with a green fury bit on it. This apparently works well because you don't need to reproof afterwards. As its a bank holiday & it was dry, Kevin got pitched up in the garden & I spent yesterday cleaning the whole of the awning (inside) & spent a lot of time on the roof.

This morning I have looked at my handy work & I can notice the difference but there are still stains... I have given the inside of the roof another going over this morning but there are still stains.

Can I assume that I am never going to get rid of those stains? Is there something else I need to do? I am doing something wrong? Is there a better solution?

Also the last time we used Kevin, he got ripped. Not too much a big deal... Well not really but where it has got ripped is a right pain. It got ripped by the van door on the part that attaches to the van. Where we stayed is notorious for wind & that part kept getting blown off, we attached it back to the van. Then there was a particular big & long gust of wind & where the van door was open (LHD) the canopy got ripped :( :evil:

We have found the repair kit that came with Kevin & it all looks straightforward enough but to save time & effort & to get it right the first time, whats the best way to apply the repair patch;
1. attach it to Razzle as normal to get some tension as thats how it should be used & carry out the repair...
or
2. don't attach it to Razzle & just lay it flat & carry out the repair taht way?

2 patches came with the kit, do we put the patch on the inside or the outside? Do I use both patches over the rip?

As you can see I'm bit of a novice at tent maintenance but this is the first time that I have to do any maintenance on my tent so any advice would be greatfully accepted & used.

Cheers in adance, Biddy

ggZa4J.jpg

A picture of the rip...

Latest posts