• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Solid, reliable, stock 70 Westfalia tin top. £10,500 firm

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananacustard

Reaction score
1970 Westfalia imported 9 years ago from Oakland, California. It is extremely solid but has had welding to the cab floors and the rear arches. It was originally white but has been painted blue in the states. It has a nice Westfalia interior which I have recovered in original style vinyl since buying it. This is missing the cooler/sink unit unfortunately, although this wasn't a problem to me as it made it a lot more usable space wise. The cab area is nice with good recovered seats, no rips or tears. Original wooden headliner through out.

The engine is a 1600 twin port running with an original solex carburettor, bosch svda distributor and oil bath air filter. It's a fairly low mileage, 'gold' 'the engine shop' unit fitted when it was imported and runs very nicely with no oil leaks. It has an after market stainless exhaust box (bluebird or JK?)

The gearbox changes smoothly and runs quietly. I've changed the linkages, replaced one drive flange oil seal and it's had a new clutch.

The bodywork is great for a 46 year old vehicle. There are minor bumps and scrapes but it looks very presentable. The chassis is really solid and still in og paint (I'd recommend undersealing it).

It's running at stock height, original wide 5s and drums all around. It's a very nice drive.

Other parts replaced include new windscreen and seal, new rear hatch seal, battery, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel filler neck and a re-buildable, ethanol resistant fuel pump.

Bad points: mismatched handles and locks, some minor rust holes on cargo floor and above engine luggage area (easily sorted).

So all in all a very solid and honest bus ready to use and enjoy as it is or it wouldn't take much effort to take it to the next level although I kind of like it as it is. A useable Westfalia camper wearing it's 46 years well.

MOT until June 2018, PM me (Jeremy) for further details.

Reduced to £11,500 ono

End of season. Reduced to £12,500

Also may consider exchange/part exchange for T5 crew van/kombi. Prefer SWB, 1.9td, windows and tailgate. No bling! Need a bicycle hauler.

£11,500

Just emerged from hibernation. Started straight up and ran, no problems.

Would consider px (T4, T5, Vivaro etc) Basically an economical, bike/family hauling kombi van without lunar mileage. Would prefer swb, 1.9 and service history.

Latest posts