Small amount of restoration...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok cheers (I could be wrong, but yours looks like a late bay bellypan?)

I think I'll just carve a bit out to fit, it'll protect the front bits.
Having said that I've been driving about without one for about a year!

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Got bored and fitted my roof rack.
Hot glued some bike inner tube on the bits of the clamp that touch. Got about 1" clearance through the door!

452f0df0e9e1a7d4e0b66b9e3509aebd.jpg

f9dda0c5b030b31ef090c3efb304af53.jpg

9c1f8bed2683574d0c9b81fc2f8e8853.jpg

fallingoffalot said:
Bellypan fitting....
The bellypan doesn't quite fit and it's in the way of the steering arm...
I suspect it's a LHD one, I guess I could butcher it with the angle grinder.

The picture is the top view and it looks like the cutout on the right is to accommodate the steering arm (for LHD), is this correct?
03e831ead5c8e0a72ba62324d7c32508.jpg

Just dug my LHD one out and the cut outs are the same although I've never gotten around to fitting it!
fb7eb0fd82059a0992d937768b34a8ff.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

fallingoffalot said:
Ok cheers (I could be wrong, but yours looks like a late bay bellypan?)

I think I'll just carve a bit out to fit, it'll protect the front bits.
Having said that I've been driving about without one for about a year!

This is an interesting Samba thread for ID of pedal belly pans, splash pans or what have you. I don’t know what difference RHD vs LHD makes though.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=597785&start=0

Yours looks like a ‘69 with 10 screws and cut outs in rear edge.

Mine looks like the ones described as ‘71 MY. 8 screws.

1968 is one year only type with two screws in the rear edge centre.

It sounds as though 69-72 may all fit although some screw holes may be mis-aligned, but the’68 pan is only for a ‘68 bus.

I think it’s a good idea to fit a pedal pan as it stops draughts coming up through the holes in the floor, as well as protecting from rain stone chips etc.

Some nice info there Mike, I hadn't realised the 68 one was different (everything is one year only :p) Looks like I might have to keep my eyes open for another one at some point

67westy said:
Some nice info there Mike, I hadn't realised the 68 one was different (everything is one year only :p) Looks like I might have to keep my eyes open for another one at some point

Having said that, the one Andy and I have doesn't seem to match the 68 or 69 variants... I'm going to have to line it up now to see if the screw holes match up

mike202 said:
Never knew there was so many differences over the years ! [emoji28]

No nor me, I thought I'd researched this topic before buying mine - I thought there were only 2, early and late! In the paperwork the PO gave me, there's a certificate, build date 9-Dec-1968, MY 1969.

As I've said over the years, pedal pans aren't handed.
Yes, there are differences, usually with the fixing holes. But early pans will fit all pre '71 buses and late will fit all '71 on buses.

The one fitted on my rhd bus is similar to yours.

sparkywig said:
67westy said:

I think yours is a 1968MY pan as there's two fixing holes at the rear of the pan.
Cheers sparky, I'll give it a go then. Nothing better to do at the minute anyway [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Could look at mine (68) but not sure where it is as didn't see it when tidying unit, think its in the rafters!!!!

Silent coat fitted to front doors. Used 5 sheets on each door. It makes a hell of a difference to how the door sounds when you shut it, looking forward to hearing the difference on the road.

Looks like there's a layer of cavity wax in here. Scraped it off then rubbed with panel wipe.

Reattached the insulation.

I'll put the door cards back when I've recovered them.
cb069d0b66cfde092158ed6d7ed5592a.jpg

c5b3f5605789e9c8a69cc0a5e645ea35.jpg

678d4090f7d15c3103d1b270f7294847.jpg

0bb47acf19029a9686f40b5ba4f54ebb.jpg

You should really have a moisture barrier fitted in place of the insulation, or at least tuck it into the bottom of the door.
Did you fit the silent coat using a heat gun and roller? If not you'll get gaps behind that will trap water and rot the door from the inside.

A previous owner did this to my square back and the door rotted through in a couple of years.

No I just stuck it on and pressed it with my fingers. I wondered that as I did it actually. I'll buy a roller and rectify this, as for a heat gun would a hairdryer do? The insulation is just what was already there from the PO. I'll look at a moisture barrier, any pointers?

A hairdryer should be OK.
You can get moisture barriers from the usual suppliers and eBay, but I used some blue dpm as I had a roll lying around.
I put 2 pieces in, one taped to the central strengthener and tucked into the bottom of the door and a larger piece just smaller than the door card that covered the entire door.
The door scrapers aren't watertight and this stops any moisture running into the bus and sitting on the inner arches and also destroying the bottoms of the door cards.
Spray loads of wax into the bottoms of the doors and make sure the drain holes at the front are clear as well.
Give your winder mechanism a good lube while you've got the cards off as well.

Latest posts