setting valve clearances after running in of engine.......

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
Evening Campers (generalisation sorry).

As above really,i have just gone through 500 miles,well probably been closer to 600 and after changing oil twice during and on 500 miles i now decided to check the valve clearances and have found them all to be too tight bar two valves :?

My first question is is this normal for them to go tight? The feeler gauge used was .15 mm which according to google is as close as to .0006thou.So unless i did something totally wrong checking and setting the valves they were all wrong :? :? :?

I checked the rotor arm was pointing at the correct lead position in the dissy denoting the cylinder no then eyed up the TDC marks only pulley and all was spot on and i could not squeeze the Feeler Gauge in so i readjusted the clearance to .15mm til it just drags on the gauge. Correct??
Went through the whole sequence then started her up and checked the timing with a strobe light (svdc lines taken off and plugged respectfully) 7.5BTDC on the button so it all points to the valves being too tight in the first place yes :?: :?:

Secondly will tight Valves cause the engine to run hot :? :? Coud not do the dip stick hold test for long :shock: :shock:

One thing i noticed was on rotating the pulley round anticlockwise to set the valves the Fan Belt would not grip the wheel and just slipped so i removed one shim from between the plates, was a new belt from the start of running in.Now i know that will contribute to a hot engine because it is not spinning the fan to cool the engine.
Setup is a totally stock 16TP.

Anybody with ideas.

Regards.

Sharky.

:sick0019:

Latest posts