Scooby or Not Scooby?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyvanwestybike

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
After 1972
Van Type
79 sunroof deluxe
Would you put a Subaru engine in?
In my opinion it takes the soul from A vehicle what should be solely air cooled
:)

I did...one of the best things I ever did as it is so much more user friendly now.
It's the cheapest way for reliable power in my eyes...and you can't tell it's water cooled unless you go looking :msn4:
I know many would never do it, but for me it fits the bill perfectly.
It could go back to air cooled without any hassle should the need ever arise too.
Do what suits you, not other people ;)
Cheers
Al

I have aswell and as above a good conversion shouldn't be noticed and is reversible. I wouldn't respray my van though which alot of people can not understand.

monkeyvanwestybike said:
Would you put a Subaru engine in?
In my opinion it takes the soul from A vehicle what should be solely air cooled
:)
Exactly.

I understand why people do it, but if I wanted reliability and speed I wouldn't have brought my bus.
I just keep it as well maintained as I can, and hope for the best. ;)
Part of the buz is when you make it to and from your adventures after struggling your nuts off. :lol:

Modern water cooled engines in old aircooled VW's don't do it for me... (Just dunt seem right!)
Theres a split twin doca with a mega fast scooby lump in it that I saw at pod last year, I really wanted to see it get dicked by a proper T2!!

Not for me..... (Just my opinion)

:D

We have "Historic Vehicle" or " Classic" status on our vehicles
I have some subtle mods on mine also but to come away from air cooled does not make any sense to me
If I wanted more power I would spend the money on a built air cooled flat four engine
by placing Subarus ,v8s ,Toyotas, Mazda RX8s, or any other engine in them to me changes them from a classic vehicle into a Hot Rod which is not the same thing

:msn4: ile put this on just in case I get a beating with my own sunvisors for saying that! :lol:

Just for the record I love air-cooled performance and ran air-cooled in my last bus for 15 years. What I wanted v cost I decided subaru was the best route for me this time. Hopefully it will be towing a air-cooled next year though

I agree it is somewhat defeating the object of having an air cooled vehicle if you go and water cool it, but it makes my life less stressful and enables me to tow a heavy trailer tent (again defeats having the bus) and carry all the crap we take away...without the need to sell a kidney to pay for a decent sized air cooled motor.
The bus is a joy to drive, but then again I have non-standard suspension and brakes too...so does that change things too?
I love it the way it is now and would not change it...except to put a bigger engine in :msn4:
My Beetle is air cooled still....for the time being anyway! :lol:
Cheers
Al

I have to agree with some of the other conversions you mentioned though. I remember seeing one with a ford v6 many years ago. It hade home made engine mounts and looked awful. but I feel a subaru look right, fits perfectly, sounds like a powerful air-cooled and is worth the effort for the power gains.

monkeyvanwestybike said:
Help I'm getting beaten to death here
Right I'm taking my hydrometer home :tongue0013:

You started it :lol:

On a serious note I do think what Trevor Sharpe and Phil jarvis have achieved this year with air-cooled performance is unbelievable and the way to go if you have the cash.

I think a good scooby conversion looks good and it does fit well in the back of a bus.

What I don't understand is why people will pay £6k for an old engine that's 15 years old?

I know there's a lot of work that goes into fitting the engine etc etc, but at the end of the day you're getting an old engine that's perhaps got 100,000 mile on it. :roll:

Or am I missing something?

-wouldn't be the first time :lol:

I paid 330 for a running taxed and mot car drove it for 3 months, broke it for spares, weighed it what was left. Engine and loom virtually for free. Conversion done at home with a mate. Only loom outsourced to rjes. If I had six grand spare it would be going to a reputable engine builder.

With the engines being good for 150000 -200000 miles it's not really a problem and there cheap enough to replace if they do go bang.

Cant see why you would want to put a Suburu engine in a early though not a problem with a Type 3 as anything goes - but being a 'old fart' i don't like lowered buses either :tongue0013:

I think I'm becoming a old fart aswell. I swapped the 165/50 for 165/65 to drive to Belgium.

paul_q said:
I paid 330 for a running taxed and mot car drove it for 3 months, broke it for spares, weighed it what was left. Engine and loom virtually for free. Conversion done at home with a mate. Only loom outsourced to rjes. If I had six grand spare it would be going to a reputable engine builder.

AHHGHEMM! :oops: Nice and clean under there mate 8) Nice Shocks too!
Are you looking for a water leak with that phone? :)

Ha, no we sorted all the leaks at home. It was the first mot and the first time we got to see underneath properly. Not laying on are backs under axle stands

Got scoob eng and box ready to go in mine, can't wait!

No more lorries overtaking me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I`m in the weird old fart camp, maybe all by myself :roll: I like the fact that mines a little lowered on Transporter House spindles and adjustabubbles on the back. I like it that my bus has been described as `marmite`, I like the wide fives`s and drum brakes but equally I like my vintage speed zooorst too, I`ve got a huge cc increase at 1641 and twin jugs and I have an Ozziedog Speedmonster MKII gearshift. So you can have totally stock or total hot rod or a million and one things in between, that may be the secret as to why they are so popular to this day, postal van, builders van, plumbers green grocers etc etc delivery van during the week and camper on the weekends :shock: that they are extremely adaptable almost to the point of whatever you can think. :idea:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, VW concept maybe,,,of so one van fits all :mrgreen:

Absolutely agree, varied and diverse abit like there owners.
Usage, needs and budget all need to be taken into consideration.

Latest posts