Revealing OG paint

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junglefacejake

Reaction score
Looking for the best way to remove a re-spray and reveal the OG paint without damaging it. Any help, advice, hints or tips greatly received

depends on the quality of the respray and how hard the paint was they used, i had a few areas in primer and rattle can which i wanted to see what was under, i got it off with a scotch pad with thinners on, i've heard oven cleaner works too, to be honest you'll have to try an area that's inconspicuos (sp) and go for it i guess.

Halfords do a rubbing compound which is good. i've used it myself & can recommend it.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_170783_langId_-1_categoryId_165625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wet n dry and hours of rubbing.

only to find out its pants and needs painting :roll:

Grazy said:
Mr Muscle oven cleaner ! :shock: ( so ive been told )
Hoping to expose "light grey"!

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
If there are any more proven techniques I would like to hear them.

junglefacejake said:
Grazy said:
Mr Muscle oven cleaner ! :shock: ( so ive been told )
Hoping to expose "light grey"!

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
If there are any more proven techniques I would like to hear them.

Go for the strongest type of oven cleaner you can get, the ones that require nitrile gloves and can burn your skin are the best :-o

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm in the same boat with a bus that's been sprayed green currently I'm using 500 grit then 1000 grit to finish of but it's a long process!
I tried graffiti remover but it wasn't that good on the areas I tried but depends on quality of paint trying to remove!
urumygem.jpg

This is where I'm at! Be careful not to remove the paint under like I did though! Although I'm doubting that it was original
peduqapy.jpg

This happened when I jet washed it off!

junglefacejake said:
Looking for the best way to remove a re-spray and reveal the OG paint without damaging it. Any help, advice, hints or tips greatly received
New project? Any pics? 8)

Hi, I did about 200 hours+ removing 2k paint and about 3 layers of other paint to get to signwritten paint - I like the result but wouldn't rush to doing it again! annoyingly the rules changed on what could be in 'stuff' a couple of years back and a lot of good products for getting paint off became crap - no nonence graffiti remover used to be brilliant.. after the changes and trying pretty much everything I could lay my hands on I found the traditional method of using farecle G3 and G6 to work really well without risk of going too far. Nitromors paint stripper is nowhere near as good as it used to be but does still work, eventually, just have to make sure you have meths to and to nutrilise (?) it once its taken the bit of paint off you're working on - good with 0000 grade wire wool too.
if I had to do it all again though id simply arm myself with a scraper (type that take a stanley blade) to get any loose/thick paint off, a big tub of farecle, loads of rags and some 0000 grade wire wool.

Hope this helps
Carl.

Sounds like good advice. I have yet to get it in the workshop to experiment but from first impressions it looks like a single re spray for colour change only possibly carried out when the bus was new and converted from a delivery vehicle to camper.

Carlos said:
Hi, I did about 200 hours+ removing 2k paint and about 3 layers of other paint to get to signwritten paint - I like the result but wouldn't rush to doing it again! annoyingly the rules changed on what could be in 'stuff' a couple of years back and a lot of good products for getting paint off became crap - no nonence graffiti remover used to be brilliant.. after the changes and trying pretty much everything I could lay my hands on I found the traditional method of using farecle G3 and G6 to work really well without risk of going too far. Nitromors paint stripper is nowhere near as good as it used to be but does still work, eventually, just have to make sure you have meths to and to nutrilise (?) it once its taken the bit of paint off you're working on - good with 0000 grade wire wool too.
if I had to do it all again though id simply arm myself with a scraper (type that take a stanley blade) to get any loose/thick paint off, a big tub of farecle, loads of rags and some 0000 grade wire wool.

Hope this helps
Carl.
So nitro morse is ok to use? Worried that it would attack the og paint?

Nice one for the advise

I used nitromors on the thick stubborn areas of 2k paint, only small areas and worked it in with 0000 wool (gloves!) then quickly wiped off with meths to stop it attacking the paint any further. Og paint is pretty tough though and most resprays from my experience have bubbled up well before the og paint has - best to trial a bit as they say in an inconspicuous area ;) once I was at the point where the layer of paint I was aiming for could be seen I just stuck to the farecle

Before

6640_101163689898513_100000146481047_29906_5563424_n.jpg

After

front1.jpg

Like Carlos, it was just LOADS of time. Stanley blade where possible to get the thick white paint off, then painstaking polishing with 400 - 1200 grit wet and dry

Take your time if you think it is worth it

Latest posts