rear shocks again!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoonerdtg

Reaction score
Right i know its been asked before :roll:

Have horseshoes and my new 6mnth old shocks standard have burst seals and now bang when loaded

whats the advice to get and any links tothem

thankyou :D

Hi,

I have horseshoe plates on the rear of mine and I used shorter shocks on the back. There is a good guide to custom ride height shock sizing on the machine 7 website. With the horse shoe plates, I calculated the shocks I needed would be the same size as standard FRONT shocks. I used KYB GR2 shocks and they ride really nicely (Quite soft) if it is heavy bus or loaded up you might consider the slightly stiffer KYB gas adjust shocks on the back. Seem like a reasonable budget option.

Hope this helps.

they will have done the seals as they are too long.

take your shocks off your bus and measure between the centre of the shock bolt holes, this gives you a measurement that would need to be in the centre of the shock travel:

so if you get a measurement of 342.50mm

Then the KYB GR2's that have a travel of 420/265 would be a perfect match,

Now often you can't get it perfect but close to the centre of the travel is the best.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_Rear-Shock-Absorbers_act_page.render_pageID_293_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had the same problem with my horseshoe plates and standard rear shocks, put standard fronts on that were kicking around on the rear now and no more banging. Pain in the ass changing the wheels now though, have to take the bottom shock bolt out, let air out of tyre. Stance looks good though!

Sorry to butt in but i have a set of front adjustable coil overs knocking about is there any reason why i couldnt use these on the rear of the bus ? im on horseshoe's aswell ? may be a dumb question with an obvious answere but was just wondering ?

alex4057 said:
they will have done the seals as they are too long.

take your shocks off your bus and measure between the centre of the shock bolt holes, this gives you a measurement that would need to be in the centre of the shock travel:

so if you get a measurement of 342.50mm

Then the KYB GR2's that have a travel of 420/265 would be a perfect match,

Now often you can't get it perfect but close to the centre of the travel is the best.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_parts_Rear-Shock-Absorbers_act_page.render_pageID_293_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just to clarify,
When the measurment is taken does the bus need to be in the air (rear wheels off the ground )

Also is this something that only works with horse shoe plates ?

I have ajustable rear spring plates and want to make sure I get the correct shocks.

Cheers
Sam

I have Spax Gas Adjustables all round and the ride is excellent - shame the same cant be said for some of the roads!

CIMG3177.jpg

Latest posts