Rear bumper mounting questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Le_Savage

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a question on rear bumper mounting, on my 68 van I have to rear mounts to the left and right of the on the rear of the van. Then at the ends (round sides) there is a kind of supporting bolt and on mine they look to be large coach bolts which I am assuming are not original. In any event, I cannot undo them to remove the bumper so will need to cut them off and replace. However while scanning for parts, I only see some short bolts in the spares list which will not do the job, however under split vans I see they list a part called 'bumper distance tubes' which would seem to be what I need but are stated to only fit up to 67.
Might these be suitable even though my van is a 68?
If so, would these short (OEM Part Number: 113-707-191/C) bolts screw into each end of the tubes or should a long coach bolt be purchased to go through the tube in one length?

Any help or advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Justin

Hi there, I think originally on a 68 there would have been a pair of support trays similar to these ones that just kampers sell http://www.justkampers.com/2117407365-6d-bumper-leaf-trays-pair-for-vw-t2-bay-1967-1972.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I've also seen on eBay some brackets that replace the tray. Search vw bay rear bumper support bracket.
I would think that either of these will require the holes in your van and bumper to be in their original locations!
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Dave

Thanks both, I appreciate some pics may help explain the issue, the van's currently 'away from home' but I'll see if I can grab some pics in the next day or so.

Dave, from a quick look at your link I can't see how these would fit into the setup I have. Might you have a pic that shows these in place?

Cheers, Justin

I've just done a quick search and found some pics here.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13340&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope that helps
Cheers
Dave

Cheers Dave... that makes perfect sense now. Thanks for looking that one out, and what a cracking van to show them on :D

Thanks muchly.

Latest posts