Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nobbly said:
I have just read through this again. I know how you feel, but take a break if you can and finish it when your mojo comes back :party0046:

I took a ten year hiatus, but even though I only got finished last year, the good times we've had since are priceless :D :D
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=69499

As has been said, you know every inch of your van, like I do mine which is pretty special, plus you'll get peanuts for an unfinished project :( so it even makes financial sense to finish, then sell if you still feel that way.

It would be a shame as you've done loads of great work and you should/would get so much from using the fruits of your labours for fun times. whatever you decide, good luck - you've saved a van either way ;)

Nobbly
Thanks for your post.
Will see where I end up but to be honest the feeling is to see it go at the moment.

gvee said:
Sad to hear you're thinking of selling; but I guess it is understandable (even if I don't agree with it!)

Hope the shoulder heals up soon - it is a right pain having to live with an injury.

All the best to you and yours :)
Cheers G
Still working on it and plan to get it at least through an MOT then go from there.
All good - hope you and yours are also good (how's the Beetle?)

So - spent a few hours underneath the bus.
Took out the heating tube so I could clean it up and also clean up the underneath and remove any surface rust.
Good news is no repairs are required :)
Treated it to rust converter stuff so any surface rust is kept at bay.
Will do a few more hours tomorrow also.

Pic of the now cleaned up heater pipe - will get properly painted and protected (and wrapped) before going back in):
20170617_1606511_zpsxf7v046o.jpg

A very poor view of underneath:
20170617_1607032_zpsl7ij5ief.jpg

Bugger - trying to remove two bolts from the chassis which I had to cut the end off to get the brake pressure regulator removed from the chassis. So, just 2 little bits of thread sticking out - found 2 x 13mm nuts and welded them on.

The first bolt came out :)
The second bolt, the nut came off so cleaned it up again and welded it back on, but had the welder to close and ended up welding up the mig tip - tried to get it out and it snapped so the swan neck is goosed (no pun intended…)

Ordered a replacement from Machine Mart so when that arrives will have another go at removing that bolt then onwards etc…

No pics I’m afraid :(

Nice weather today so after watching the MotoGP spent a few hours on the van.
Tidied up the chassis and threw a few cans of etch primer on.
Also, made some slots so I could put the loom through the chassis (was hanging below) and also the clutch conduit.

What diameter is the tube for the loom to go through?

A few pic of the etch primered chassis (Nearside first)

20170702_171235_001_zpsyrmuj4qv.jpg

20170702_171325_zpsc0cztq6n.jpg

20170702_171333_zps5zjntky7.jpg

Offside:

20170702_171416_zpsgrojiok6.jpg

20170702_171501_zpswivthyx5.jpg

Another quick question - are these rear drums worth salvaging or better off buying new?

20170702_172239_zpsw20imu8c.jpg

Cheers

Carried on pluggin away last night.
Trying to remove a broken bold - attempted to weld a nut onto what is left but when trying to twist it out, the nut just comes off - looks like I will need to go to full power.........

Spent some time using a flap disk on the drums to get the surface rust off - looking better:

20170717_201457_zpsbmerdlvq.jpg

Run out of 13 mm nuts so will find something else to do :)

Keep dipping into the progress you're making. Not sure about brake drums. Better safe in my eyes, so I'd be Googling if I didn't have Paul for advice. I'd be Googling too, come to think about it, anyway though. So I did and it seems rust is an inherent over time anyway. But as with Google...you get opposing views with 'severity' and 'effectiveness of the issue. Like here, other blogs discuss back and forth, YouTube may show removal/turning/techniques, and expert opinion gets really technical. The underside of your bus.....Looking clean and solid. Good stuff.

graysummers said:
Keep dipping into the progress you're making. Not sure about brake drums. Better safe in my eyes, so I'd be Googling if I didn't have Paul for advice. I'd be Googling too, come to think about it, anyway though. So I did and it seems rust is an inherent over time anyway. But as with Google...you get opposing views with 'severity' and 'effectiveness of the issue. Like here, other blogs discuss back and forth, YouTube may show removal/turning/techniques, and expert opinion gets really technical. The underside of your bus.....Looking clean and solid. Good stuff.

Well - spent a few hours on the van this afternoon!!
One of the rear trailing arms was missing the bump stop cap (not sure what you call it).
Thanks to Hilly from here, he gave me a couple of old/used CO2 canisters which I butchered to create the bump stop.

Started with this:
20170924_171714_zpsg0l6jhlx.jpg

Cut the end of and ended with this:
20170924_171720_zpsui0ceqyf.jpg

Tidied up the cut and sanded down the top of the trailing arm so I could weld it on:
20170924_171703_zps2vissh30.jpg

Welded on :)
20170924_172941_zpsupxioggz.jpg

Will now paint the parts in epoxy paint now and look to start putting it all back together!

Cheers

gvee said:
That's a smart fix!
Is there anything special you have to do when cutting in to a canister?
You should screw the end off which will expel any remaining gas and depressurise the canister!
Or, if the canister is very old then just cut into it (don't try this at home kids). I did this as the screw end was rounded by my attempts and I had no issues :msn4:

See.. knew we'd get you back on it bud! :D

Glad the canister came in handy .. thats 2 buses with the 'mod' now! ;)

Hilly

Hilly_70 said:
See.. knew we'd get you back on it bud! :D

Glad the canister came in handy .. thats 2 buses with the 'mod' now! ;)

Hilly
Think your so clever don't you :mrgreen:

October already - WTF!!

Anyway, bought 5L of Swarfega Metal Cleaner and Restorer to clean all those nuts and bolts and hopefully get them usable again.
Will also use it to clean some of the other metal such as the rear drums, but thought I would start on smaller bits first.

Pic of said liquid and the asorted bits:

20171002_183035_zpsyptudnnw.jpg

20171002_183040_zps6wl6nhfd.jpg

Let battle commence:
20171002_184857_zpsjgdmjx5l.jpg

Will see tomorrow how it does (hope there will be something left......)

As an aside, checked the government website for MOT and it says my van was first registered in '71...........
Gov%20MOT_zpsoivqytuj.png

Very strange!

Latest posts