Power options

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoo

Reaction score
I know there is a similar thread, but I'll not hi-jack that. I've been looking at the options for putting leisure power into the van. I don't want EHU and to be confined to certain areas of the campsite, so want the freedom to camp anywhere. Options are:

Leisure battery
Solar power panels
Waeco Fridge
12V lighter sockets
12v USB charger

or

Colemans Steel Belted Cooler
Battery Bank USB charger

I mean we are talking about £700+ versus £180. The battery bank is tiny and only costs £30, will charge phones and tablets for a week. The cooler will last about 3 days, much the same as a Waeco on 12v. The solar power will top up the Waeco to keep the fridge running longer, but I can always nip back to the shop because the supermarket meat will only stay fresh for a couple of days anyway. So it worth all that huge expense, extra weight and space for the fancy fridge?

simple answer no.

got a fridge in the puck and really its ok and works off gas but i wouldnt dare run it off the battery a cooler and a bit of ice will last longer than the battery. and take up less space as ya can leave it outside.

jth

gas fridge is the winner every day performance wise and probably saves cash in the long run by not having to go to supermarket every other day or throw tepid meat away..

having a leisure battery is very useful for running the inverter, multiple different camera, video, phone, led camping light, kids toys chargers and is damn useful if the main battery is sluggish after the winter layup (although not recommended). also means can run a fridge on 12v during the drive down and if stopping for a few hours don't have to worry about leaving it on..

small leisure battery needed cost much

Latest posts