Power lose

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdubkev

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if any one can through the light on a prob I had today
Went up to volksworld 120 mile round trip bus didn't miss a beat ,being its first really good run since the full resto
Today went for a small run ,aprox 7 miles in I noticed that it started to chug a bit and wouldn't pick up and with me feathering throttle she came to a stop , checked for any lose leads. Found nothing ! Turn her over and she fired right up and seemed fine so I drove for about another mile and she did the same thing but luckily we got in to car park , still couldn't find any thing visible , so I thought maybe leave her for a bit to cool down ,didn't really seem over hot but still went for a coffee ! Came back ,started again and drove the 8 miles back home without missing a beat,very strange, feel a bit apprehensive of taking her out again so any thoughts and ideas would help
It's a 1641 engine with about 600 miles on it running standard bocar 34 pict carb bosh 009 electronic dizzy with vac advance ,petronix coil ,standard exhaust !
One thing I did notice was when I took the fuel cap off there seemed to be a residual of fuel in the top of the cap!but no hissing of air as thought maybe a vacum might have built up in the tank ,
Kev

Checked fuel lines ! Filter ! And striped carb down , small amount of dirt in bottom of carb! Just waiting on rebuild kit for carb b4 testing ! Any other ideas greatly appreciated
Kev

If the rough running only happens when the engine is upto temp and you have been driving a while you may have an issue with the coil breaking down and not providing a decent spark
Although it should only do this when warm/hot - if it is the coil at fault it will run just fine when cold and start stuttering and be hard to rev when warm.

Think I've sorted it
On fuel inlet there's the needle which shuts off fuel when float touches it ! When I took it out the hole had a small bit of dirt in it reducing the hole size ! So I think while I was driving at around 35 to 40 the fuel flow could keep up , but once went over 40 to 50 the flow couldn't keep up ! Hence why it started up straight away after stopping ! Fingers crossed
Thanks for all your help !!
Kev

vdubkev said:
Think I've sorted it
On fuel inlet there's the needle which shuts off fuel when float touches it ! When I took it out the hole had a small bit of dirt in it reducing the hole size ! So I think while I was driving at around 35 to 40 the fuel flow could keep up , but once went over 40 to 50 the flow couldn't keep up ! Hence why it started up straight away after stopping ! Fingers crossed
Thanks for all your help !!
Kev

Check the piece of dirt - it may be rubber from the fuel hose.

Latest posts