Porsche 944 brakes - What bearings and master?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joneastwood

Reaction score
Ok so got my 944 hubs, disks and calipers all sorted

got my stock 68 spindles

About to buy the adapter kit either from transporterhause or http://slambulance.skynetblogs.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know the kits come with spacers, But what inner and outer bearings do I buy, Bay or 944?

Also as I have an early 68 and the master cylinder and reservoir needs replacing and knowing the reservoir is hard to get, Do I or should i change that for a 944?

Thanks

Stock bay inner and outer. The adapters are just a couple of rings that press into the 944 hubs. Hand tip, HEAT the hubs up before pressing the rings in
so you dont stretch the ali.

Be warned, once you start cocking about with Porsche breaks you cant stop (pun intended) :lol:

Well that's got me confused and a bit worried

I've used the 944 hubs, discs and calipers, mounted on French slammer 944 dropped spindles but used porsche bearings and no spacers. Surely the bearings should be 944 ones so they fit n the 944 hubs????

so just to confuse things.

Got my Transporterhaus adapter plates, bearings all ready to start fitting them

But came with zero instructions so I asked what I need to do and have been told this by Transporterhaus

You need to remove the bearing races from the Porsche hubs.
Then press the rings in where the races were. Fit either the Porsche races back or 64-79 bus ones and fit up. On a bay window you will need to source a larger hub seal as the Porsche one is too small. A 1mm larger seal on the ID will do it.
You can use either the pre 85 Porsche bearings or 64-79 vw bus bearings as they are very similar.
The original Porsche grease seal works for 64-67 buses. The 68-79 spindle has a 1mm larger Outer Diameter boss at the base of the spindle, this is why the Porsche seal will not fit.
You need a seal which is the inner diameter of the VW one in that kit, the outer diameter and thickness of the Porsche one.

So I am taking from that I have to press both the inner and outer races out from the current 944 hub, press back in the ones I have been supplied and then press the original 944 races back in after as well?

Then try to source a hub seal that fits the 944 hub but for whatever reason is actually larger….

Has anyone else fitted these and do you know what hub seal i need and where I can get it from?

IMG_75251.JPG

IMG_75221.JPG

IMG_75241.JPG

Starting to wish i had bought the french slammer drop spindle now..... :?

Jon,

Bearing spacers (usually) sit between bearing race and hub, so remove old race, insert spacer and fit new race -I doubt TransporterHaus are any different.

For seals there are many seal and bearing companies out there and you just need to get the vernier callipers out and check the VW ID and post OD, I do know the size but don't have it to hand.

They are not expensive or difficult to get hold of.

mattp said:
Jon,

Bearing spacers (usually) sit between bearing race and hub, so remove old race, insert spacer and fit new race -I doubt TransporterHaus are any different.

For seals there are many seal and bearing companies out there and you just need to get the vernier callipers out and check the VW ID and post OD, I do know the size but don't have it to hand.

They are not expensive or difficult to get hold of.

Thanks mate

will I be able to use the old race or would they be trashed getting them out?

Hi Jon

Hows it going? Did you find a seal to fit? I have the same brake set up as you and I'm about to start building it back up.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam yes I did

After being given DUFF information I had my hubs machined to take a bay window hub seal which meant I can simply going forward buy bay window bearing kits that have the inner, outer and hub seal in it :evil: :evil: :evil:

BUT then found out you simply buy a 944 bearing kit!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291811596200

joneastwood said:
ended up buying a 944 master
That's the best one.

Just finished my setup on 944.
When I look back it's fairly easy, but that's not what I thought while I was mid process :lol:

911gt2 said:
joneastwood said:
That's the best one.

When I look back it's fairly easy, but that's not what I thought while I was mid process :lol:

so you ended up:

944 discs up front
944 master
stock bay drums on the rear

??

What did you do about the reservoir?
what did you use and locate it where?
What did you do about the pipes as there are only 2 outlets on 944 master as in brake light switch etc?
I was thinking of using the same one off the top of the 944
Did you use a spacer ring to mount the 944 master and if so where did you get it from?

joneastwood said:
911gt2 said:
joneastwood said:
That's the best one.

so you ended up:

944 discs up front
944 master
stock bay drums on the rear

??

What did you do about the reservoir?
what did you use and locate it where?
What did you do about the pipes as there are only 2 outlets on 944 master as in brake light switch etc?
I was thinking of using the same one off the top of the 944
Did you use a spacer ring to mount the 944 master and if so where did you get it from?

No I ended up,

944 discs front,
944 discs rear,
944 master.

What I did with the reservoir is drill it trough the cabfloor just above the master and bolted it onto the empty earea under the seat. In that way I could just use a normal length brake fluid hose and still keep de reservoir in the cab I can check visially quite easily and refil just requires that I slide out the seat.

I used a t- shaped connector (some as on the rear brake line) in the front brakeline and mounted the swith on that.

My 944 master has 3 outlets though?

efi886.jpg

sorry for the confusion, yes mine has three, its got a split for the front and a single for the rear ;)

got any pictures from above in the cab floor?

I take it that's also using a 944 servo?

Got any pictures from the linkage side of the master?

Was the 944 rear easy, probably a whole other post of questions and pictures :)

Latest posts