Old Skool full width v's Narrowed beam

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Nick

Reaction score
Just ordered our full width, ball joint Creative Weed eater and we're stayin' high (ish) in the sky. Arguements for and against please dudes!

High is the new low?

dude, as the saying goes, its your van do with it as you wish!

im my case, i suffer from vertigo, so all my vehicles must be on the floor, simularly i like taking corners at speed, so a narrowed beam is not for me ;)

trends come and go, but my van will always look like it just stepped out of Hannover...

AxlFoley said:

im my case, i suffer from vertigo, so all my vehicles must be on the floor, simularly i like taking corners at speed, so a narrowed beam is not for me ;)

Not often hear "corners and speed" in the same early bay sentence..........! ;)

Alistair

my van is going to be low and narrow but the world would be a boring place if we all looked the same. so go with what you like mate. a little lower than stock is always nice, 2 or 3 inch.

don't need to be narrow to be low.. ;)

38085865.jpg

dyn009_original_822_458_jpeg_2114_4feab975d5ac352b325529382605489b.jpg

Dont stay to high with the weedeater dude it will look plop! honestly do it and you will see what i mean 8) get that arse down a spline and then drop the front just a touch more and it will be a million miles better 8)

Must admit not a fan of the Commer van look from a techncial point of view. Having raced cars it just doesn't seem right in my opinion to narrow the track and fit narrower tyres on a commerical vehicle. :shock:

But I do like lowered vehicles, again some say even this is wrong. On another forum I have even been accused of putting my familes life at risk on a lowered van, but that's my choice.

2465879840_c44f1ef843.jpg

But each to their own and to be honest this is what I like about the VW scene we all like VW and modify them to put our own mark on them and dont really get arsey about whats wrong and right as some marques do ie MG and triumph. Try turning up at one of these show with a modifed car :roll: The purists go mad!

can of worms opening........ :suicide:

Big Nick said:
Just ordered our full width, ball joint Creative Weed eater and we're stayin' high (ish) in the sky. Arguements for and against please dudes!

High is the new low?

Hi Nick, Here's my opinion.

If you are going to use wheels with a good offset (more tuck) then you could get away with a stock width beam, but a lot of aftermarket wheels push the wheels out making it look odd and could cause rubbing. If you use a split beam you will get additional tuck without any work but you would need to use KnL spindles. I would do as Easy says, lower by 1 spline at the back, adjust the front beam to match. I think the BJ beam for the split pattern will be a toch narrower than stock anyway, talk to Dave at Creative. Make sure you are using wheels with a good offset.

Hope to see you guys over the summer.

Jon

I really don't get the narrow thing?

I can see why some people think it looks cool and fitting a narrow beam so they can get wheels to fit properly makes sense too.

But I like wheels to fill the arch not disappear and look like a robin reliant... can someone explain what it's all about??? :?

I always feel that if you are going to change/update something that is functional or vital, for example beam, engine, suspension, brakes etc it has to improve not hamper the performance or ride of the vehicle.

For me changing a beam to get the 'narrow look' is the equivalent to swapping a 2.0ltr to a 1.0ltr, or going from disc brakes to drums.

Horses for courses I guess.

Lowering however is a must, it improves the handling (if done right) and the look in one.

aogrady said:
AxlFoley said:

Alistair

I like to drive my van like I stole it, no point being gentle with it!!

AxlFoley said:
aogrady said:
AxlFoley said:

Alistair

I like to drive my van like I stole it, no point being gentle with it!!

I like to drive mine like I'm on holiday in it :mrgreen: Slow and low is the way to go 8)

(I drive my VRS like I stole it :oops: )

mine is low and very narrow and it corners better then before when it was standard, nail it into corners with no problems, also did 1000 miles in a week touring cornwall without any problems brought it to convert it to a family camper and thats what its used for

uber cool said:
blah MG and triumph. Try turning up at one of these show with a modifed car :roll: The purists go mad!

With you there - when getting my former GT6 spraying in pearl purple/blue at a classic resto place (along with other mods that got people looking down at me) one of the MG owners refused to speak to me afterwards :shock: something about not appreciating the historical signficance of the marque and the duty to preserve these vehicles for future generations e.t.c - though to be fair, he was a massive tool :lol:

each to their own - what I have found is that the VW scene is like a revelation compared to others - we're all petrol heads but it's surprising how many anal people get drawn to certain marques! they can keep em.....

Personally wouldn't go narrow - I prefer arches filled - but they still look cool 8)

Mine has a 4" narrowed beam, and I don't feel the wheels look lost in the arches. I need dropped spindles to take advantage of the beam, but it would be very close to rubbing on the wheel tubs. My van couldn't be the current height without rubbing on the wheelarches if it had a standard width beam.

CIMG8554.jpg

And I can still crawl under it from front to back (just!)

I never have any difficulty in putting mine round corners, either. 8)

Just so its clear I do like the look of extreme lowered vans and narrowed beams and its needed to go very low, everybodies van or here looks great.
But from a technical point of view it doesn't sit right in my head. Narrowed track cant equal greater stability (and we are not just talking cornering) cross winds on motorways :shock:

What's quicker round a corner and less likely to fall over a Gokart or Tricycle..................... see my point.

No doubt I'm just making it worse :roll: but the thread did ask for 'for' and 'against' opinions

Latest posts