my 1971 danburyfalia pop top project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks.

wasnt really having a good time tonight :(

ended up stuck at work till 6.30pm when i really wanted to be around there working on the tent a little more.

i got round there and it was litterally jumping off the ground with the wind :shock: the sides of the tent were flapping dangerously close to my bus too

as a temporary measure i have tied the tent down to anything heavy i could find around there. but tomorrow i will be investing in some eye bolts to anchor everything down properly, and having the worse nights sleep ever tonight :?

not updated my thread for a while so here goes.

the day after my bus went into its new home. the winds got up to 75mph :shock:

i went round there and the tent was jumping. i crapped myself and went to screwfix and spent £40 on rawl bolts

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

panic over and bought me some time to get the workshop to a level i could leave it at so i can concentrate on the bus build

IMAG0108.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

now in the hands of the planners so its on ice for a while till i order the doors and windows.

so the other day i went back to the army surplus place and spent more money on a much needed tent liner

the dark green inside was sucking up all the light and making not too nice around there

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0173.jpg

put some better lights in there too. its now my clean room

IMAG0185.jpg

spent ages the other weekend with some cheap brillo pads and an old tootk brush bring life back into the bits that came off the bus.

i realise that you can get it all new, but the cost would be loads

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

not bad for 12 quid on ebay and 30 quid for a rechromed u peice

IMAG0115.jpg

then started to take stock of the bits and peices ive hoarded

IMAG0164.jpg

also picked up a set of 944 seats on ebay at a proper steal as my 911 tan seats are too good to retrim (they may be up for sale soon)

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0162.jpg

started this week with a few easy jobs just to get back on the horse so to speak

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

still waiting on loads of bits being delivered so the jobs just aint flowing at the moment. its also very scary putting it back together as i want to keep it shiney for as long as possible.

Mate, as always great work, been so busy with work I'm pretty certain you are going to overtake me soon :mrgreen: . The makeshift garage is looking fantastic, how much where the tent liners by the way. Keep up the good work and hope the planners take a while getting back to you so you can get on with the bus. :D

Buss69 said:
Nice touch with the socket head bolts, stainless?

yes mate. been buying them off ebay as i need them. got some nice stainless dome headed nuts too.

waiting on some 3mm pop rivets to fit my new deluxe trim. then i will pick up the hatch and slider so i cant start fitting door seals etc.

waiting on a front window seal trim from c&c so i can get the windows fitted.

Nice, very nice. Good luck with the windows in this weather. Don't forget to warm those rubbers :lol: Oh, and definitely do not use washing-up liquid, waxed string is apparently the way to go. My bus windows were fitted with washing-up liquid after I specifically asked them not to be and now they are starting to show signs of rot! :cry:

still waiting on delivery of a few bits so progress still all over the place. no windscreen in yet :( very annoying.

heres a few pix of whats been going on in planet tent

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

when i dug the window out of my loft, the receipt said nov 2008 :shock: god my bus build has dragged.

IMAG0239.jpg

then the deluxe trim going on. plastic clips :? :shock: though i suppose they wont encourage rust. fitted with 3mm pop rivet so as to not crack the paint around the edge of the holes

IMAG0240.jpg

sadly my other experiences this week have been pants :(

due to my heritage doors and bit of a mash up with what was already on my bus ive ended up with two full sets of door gear. my doors are the pull up lock type as were the ones that came on my bus (that were wrong). my internal door pulls were og early bay deluxe (without the lock connected) these dont fit my new doors so i spent a load more on late bay pulls (these dont fit either) i will be on the phone to heriage tomorrow to kick off. its cost me loads so far and i still dont have working doors :evil:

Good luck with Heritage, I've got a similar problem with the rear light assemblies I bought 18 months ago. They are actually for a split because they have no earth tag like the Bays. Problem is I should have checked them when I bought them but trusted the catalogue and stuck them in the loft! Live and learn.

Bus is looking awesome mate, very excited with your build, don't rush though (I'm only saying that so I might finish mine :p). The colour of the body and the chrome is a beautiful combination. Absolutely lovin' it :D

cheers guys. there's a few of us on here getting to the later stages of our restos, and looking back where has the time gone? I will have had my bus 6 years in jan next year, and havent really felt like a true early bayer as my bus was never rolling. i really hope i can get it on the road for a show or two next year.
its creeping along at the mo which is a positive, but we've spotted a house that is up for auction in 3 weeks. if that lands in my lap at the right money then it will be all hands to that pump.
Also, this week my planning approval came through for my workshop to flat conversion so that plate may need to start spinning again. many plates in the air at the moment, and spinning them all is killing me.

Love it, the colour is awesome. Glad things are moving along, keep it up!! 8)

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Looking great.

I fecking love rear opening safaris.

I'm finding it hard to fit parts back on my bus, I can't imagine doing it on a gloss bus - it must be slow going, but so worth it ;)

andewilson said:
also picked up a set of 944 seats on ebay at a proper steal as my 911 tan seats are too good to retrim (they may be up for sale soon)

:shadey: Hmm, I'm interested if you do sell (have any pictures?). The Saab 9000 leather seats I have in mine are very nice, but perhaps 25mm too tall. Fine for me, but my sister's bloke got in who's (6t something) and his head was on the roof :|

Any idea what the height of the base is? From runner to top of seat cushion?

I have read this thread like a quality thriller. Each page getting better and better. The quality of the work and your tenacity are awesome. Can't wait to see the next instalment and, more importantly, the finished bus.

Absolutely fantastic work.

had another session on the bus last night till 10.30. toasty warm with the heater on in there.

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

really need some new or rechromed handles

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

not impressed with the jk trim. the corners are just as crap as everyone says. may have to come up with a plan. the c&c grill trim came and that is crap too

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

the plastic clips just dont seem to pull it tight. tried some og clips but they were not much better. not the best thing to be doing to a freshly painted bus. ive had the drill out far too much

also spent an hour fettling the step so it fits in my brazillian jacking points

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

got my 56 deluxe door handles and winders in the post yesterday so hope to get them on tonight. then ive got to refurb my opening quarters to get the doors finished. :D

Ant, looking very very good indeed... Great progress!

How you getting on with your front door gear... I ask as you've got me worried because I also bought new/replacement doors and am yet to transfer the locks and handles etc from my original doors.... and based on your comments suspect that nothing is gonna fit? :roll:

Keep up the good work. ;)

Dan

Latest posts