My 1971 bay project...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£3 a go from my local motor factors. I reckon my front panel will cost me £12 - £15 to spray. And I don't have to clean brushes or a nozzle. And I don't have a compressor.

It'll be improved upon as I can afford to spend the time and cash on it 8)

Tofufi said:
£3 a go from my local motor factors. I reckon my front panel will cost me £12 - £15 to spray. And I don't have to clean brushes or a nozzle. And I don't have a compressor.

It'll be improved upon as I can afford to spend the time and cash on it 8)

Who cleans brushes anyway :lol:

Nice work Tofufi, you don't have vacation for Easter?
I'm looking forward to more pics... :wink:

I only get 5 weeks off over easter :shock:

Most of the remaining 3 weeks will need to be spent revising though, as much of my course is maths-based and horrible!

Recently, I have been tracking down interior cards and stuff to replace the home made dormobile-style stuff that was in there.

CIMG7073.jpg

To:

CIMG7550.jpg

:D

Just need to sort the sliding door card now - I've got one, but it is knackered. I may try replacing the hardboard using the original vinyl.

It could also do with a good clean up, and I will do this, and paint/rustproof the floor and behind the doorcards in the near future.

Today, Following CTTP yesterday, my friend Rob and I set about pulling the vans engine to sort out the massive fuel smells, and sort a few other bits.

We fitted a new exhaust to replace the horrible monza :mrgreen: (Anyone wanna buy a beautiful monza 4 tip? :lol: )

CIMG7575.jpg

Completely stock :)

We then fitted a stock thermostat to the flap arrangement on the fanhousing - much better.

And then removed the firewall to sort out the fuel smells.
I've got a new filler neck and fuel cap coming soon, but look how shiny the tank is :D

CIMG7572.jpg

CIMG7574.jpg

Wish the rest of my van were as good :roll:

More tomorrow. Maybe.

Nice work!

I wish i had the patience and skill to work on mine.. but then again an electrical fire and complete dash re-wire is too much for me!

Cheers 8)

I saw the thread in chat, really gutted for you :(

Just a quick update on my van, I might go and do a bit more after lunch.

I found the source of the extreme petrol smell!

The petrol filler neck had been damaged, meaning that petrol gushed readily between the filler neck and the fuel cap.
I removed the filler neck this morning, and found that my kitchen tap could barely fill it up, even with the cap fitted.

My replacement filler neck (Bought on VZi with another locking petrol cap thrown in!) came through the post this morning, so I fitted the original locking cap to it, and hey presto, virtually no leak. After about a minute, a tiny bubble of water forms when the filler neck is full to the brim of water! Much better.

I'm fairly sure it'll improve the fuel economy too. :shock:
Hopefully this will rid the van of the petrol smells it has had since I got it.

I also found the hose clips were not very tight, which won't have helped. The petrol tank area actually didn't smell of fuel, just behind the filler flap on the side of the van really reeked.

Old filler neck - note the fuel clip at a jaunty angle (not tight!):

CIMG7576.jpg

Old (left) and new (right) together:

CIMG7578.jpg

And my fuel caps.

CIMG7577.jpg

Neither has keys at present, but I know a few other people with locking fuel caps so I'll try their keys at some point 8)

Aaaand yes, another update :D

With a lot of swearing, grunting and a fairly impressive engine-on-top-of-a-jack-and-lots-of-bricks balancing act.

CIMG7580.jpg

CIMG7579.jpg

And the old exhaust for comparison:

CIMG6354.jpg

CIMG6353.jpg

Finally, I also got rid of the dreaded fuel smell :D No more intoxication every time I go round a corner :lol:

Forgot to add, it seems much faster now too 8)
Goes much better, and now accelerates up hills better too.
The only problem with it is I can barely hear the engine in comparison with the old exhaust. Wish it were a touch louder.

Looking much better! 8)

I also mounted a new exhaust, but I fitted the tailpipe of a late bay. I believe these are a bit less quiet, because there's no muffler in it. :)

DSC05166-k.jpg

Cool 8)

I didn't think of that when I bought it. It'll have to stay the same for now :)

Here is a pic of the finished engine.

CIMG7581.jpg

Gonna go for a bit of a drive this evening, see if the heating is any better with the OG heat exchangers over the repro ones.

Top work as ever - and a nice bit of detective work on the fuel leak!!! (Safer too!)

That exhaust is a BIG improvement - I'll pass on the Monza though if that's OK?

;)

:lol:

Took it round the ring road this evening, lots of nice roundabouts. Lets just say it goes reasonably well round corners :wink:

However, in fourth gear it really feels a bit sluggish. I suspect the new exhaust and air filter will mean the carb needs setting up again. I'll service it this week :)

I will admit to being quite shocked at how clean the fuel tank area is! Not that I'm complaining... 8)

I'm doing Mechanical Engineering too. I did look at Exeter, but they seemed to be cutting down on the engineering department? Hopefully my course will be a masters :)
Did you enjoy the Exeter course?

Got the exams coming next month. :?

they've cut down on the electronic engineering but think the mechanical is still going strong. i did enjoy my degree but i must say i didnt expect so much theoretical stuff that i'll never use. they should have way more hands on. thats one of the reason i'm doing a resto, cos i love getting my hands dirty and would miss it otherwise.

Yeah, I'm doing a lot of theory stuff a the minute, it ain't so fun. Only done one hands-on project this year :(

Still, that's what the van and beetle are for, like you say ;)

With the help of a fellow Krazydubclub member, today we found the distributor on my engine had about 1cm of vertical play in the shaft. Not sure if it should have, but we replaced it with another one anyway. Tuned the van carb and got the timing spot on, and it now runs beautifully.

Should be ready for the trip back to Birmingham next weekend 8)

Tofufi said:
And my fuel caps.

CIMG7577.jpg

Neither has keys at present, but I know a few other people with locking fuel caps so I'll try their keys at some point 8)

Hi Jim,

If you want keys for the petrol caps the key and security shop in Westbury village are really good. I've had loads of key cut there by just taking the locks/handles etc in. They're pretty cheap too, and give discount if you've got a neighbourhood watch card.

Latest posts