last bit of advice on wiring

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottinger

Reaction score
hey all,

got some led strip lights (single colour) 5 metres 24w 3a

now, the connection off the led strip is a pos and neg wire.
the wire itself is VERY thin.

i was going to run a wire from a fusebox (fused at 3a) onto a switch then onto the LED strip.

If i run a normal size wire (ie a 5amp wire) from the fusebox to switch then 5 amp wire from the switch to the ledstrip, surely the wiring that is on the LED strip is a weak spot ???

ie, the 3amp fuse prortects the 5amp wire, but what protects the wire you attach to on the LED strip ? :msn4: :?

doin my head in this is :lol:

a thought id finished but obviously not potts.... :roll:

pottinger said:
hey all,

got some led strip lights (single colour) 5 metres 24w 3a

now, the connection off the led strip is a pos and neg wire.
the wire itself is VERY thin.

i was going to run a wire from a fusebox (fused at 3a) onto a switch then onto the LED strip.

If i run a normal size wire (ie a 5amp wire) from the fusebox to switch then 5 amp wire from the switch to the ledstrip, surely the wiring that is on the LED strip is a weak spot ???

ie, the 3amp fuse prortects the 5amp wire, but what protects the wire you attach to on the LED strip ? :msn4: :?

doin my head in this is :lol:

a thought id finished but obviously not potts.... :roll:

The fuse should protect the smallest cable, so ideally you want to find out the cross section of the wire (mm2) and find its current rating

last question promise :msn4:

does it matter what size wire is used to get to the thinest wire, ie

fusebox
1 amp fuse then 15 amp wire connected to this and run to the 2 amp wire and connected
therefore safe :? or should the wire be matched as near as poss ? brain says it makes no difference :?:

a safety conscious potts

pottinger said:
last question promise :msn4:

does it matter what size wire is used to get to the thinest wire, ie

fusebox
1 amp fuse then 15 amp wire connected to this and run to the 2 amp wire and connected
therefore safe :? or should the wire be matched as near as poss ? brain says it makes no difference :?:

a safety conscious potts

As long as the cable will carry the current then it makes no odds esp when talking about tiny cables like these mate

If the whole lots rated at 3A the last bit of wire must be good for that x a safety factor. I'd plump for 5A. I am not an electrician.

3A is quite draw? I thought LED's were supposed to be good for power comsumption?

Latest posts