JK Devon Roof Cap Kits

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Nick

Reaction score
Hi all another question I'm afraid, does anyone have any experience of these, are they effective, do they add much to the all up weight, easy to fit etc.

Many thanks in advance

Nick

Yes they do add alot of weight, hence the need for uprated springs (also supplied in the kit) in the lift mechanism. IMHO they add to the height and i dont like the lines you get from them but its just my opinion.

It just as easy and cheaper to remove and re-rivet/seal the OG cap while replacing the rubbers, you can also strenghten the bows with corner brackets and seal the cap underneath. I have also heard of people using a vinyl sheet to seal the rivets as this is a common place for them to leak.

i have seen a homebrew solution with did away with the centre rubber which leaks badly by using a larger piece of aluminium to cover the cap and rivet and seal it to the top edge of the cap rather than have it held in with another rubber seal. It worked well and didnt take away from the looks at all

give these guys a call http://www.campershop.co.uk/devon-bw68.htm

they are very experience with opotop repairs and are very helpful.

My 73 Devon came with a JK roof cap already fitted. It is quite heavy but its certainly water tight. Seems good quality too. It does add a little height but it wont fit in my garage anyway so it doesnt really matter. I guess you got a decision to make buddy. Good luck..

Stirlingmoz

i looked at the JK roof cap but saved up and went for a pop-top rebuild. very expensive but it looks factory fresh now. lucky as that extra height would have meant it would not fit under the drive doors in our house

cheers

analord said:
i looked at the JK roof cap but saved up and went for a pop-top rebuild. very expensive but it looks factory fresh now. lucky as that extra height would have meant it would not fit under the drive doors in our house

cheers

do you mind me asking how much is very expensive?

i need to do something with mine, roof looks a state because theres what looks like underseal slapped on there... luckily i'm short so don't see it very often :lol: also the canvasy part has got splits all around.

does anyone have a flat sided canvas (not concertina)? if so, is it very hard to guide it down into place?

Thanks

Jenna

the bellows are up to £500 alone for the windowed type and have a 2 month lead time once ordered. but you do get quality. all the other replacable parts add up to about £200, (seals hinges springs, brackets etc) and i would say you would be looking at a fair amount of labour.

guessing not much change out of £1000 if you got for this one...

devon-bay2.jpg

Johnnyâ„¢ said:
the bellows are up to £500 alone for the windowed type and have a 2 month lead time once ordered. but you do get quality. all the other replacable parts add up to about £200, (seals hinges springs, brackets etc) and i would say you would be looking at a fair amount of labour.

guessing not much change out of £1000 if you got for this one...

devon-bay2.jpg

I've got that type of bellows at the moment and although it's lovely and bright inside, it's all the window bits that have gone brittle and split, theres no problem with the white bits. i know it's probably as old as the camper but i dont want to spend that much on another one for it to just happen again.

looks like it may take a bit of saving to sort it though :roll: oh well i've got good aircon for the summer! :lol:

Shop around you can buy the window panels and repair it yourself or some of the tent/awning distributors repair/know repairers that will fit them........ cost?????

I've got a canvas I'm going to sell - it's the flat, windowless type (non-concertina). Never been fitted, going to put a rag-top on mine instead if anyone's interested?...

;)

Araon said:
Shop around you can buy the window panels and repair it yourself or some of the tent/awning distributors repair/know repairers that will fit them........ cost?????

ooo thanks, will have a search around and see what i can find

Jenna

Jenna try someone like this company from £150 to do soft tops

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Soft-Tops-Car-Hoods-Convertibles_MATERIALS_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ9989897QQftidZ2QQtZkm

You can always discuss it with them and there must be similar companies in your area....

http://www.softtops.org.uk/rear-screens.htm in coventry

thanks, will have a better look tomorrow when i've got more time... but for now it's off to Leicester! Happy 2008

Jenna

I`ve seen bus with a zinc metal top around the edges are stainless steel studs....

It looks cool....

I have to do mine sooner rather than later... :?

hi,

mine went to camper shop and had a full rebuild, with all new rubbers, bellows, paint and refit - and the bill was around the two grand mark

a load of money but they are ace and it looks like new - no leaks as they seal inside and outside as well as modify the roof (the rivet leak over time)

cheers

Latest posts