Jimmy our 68 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers mate, I got them from Dolly Daydream on here. Link to the for sale thread: http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=38695&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if she has any of the curtains left though

brings back memories, :roll: :roll: i went with stuart and drew last year (see thread in gallery ref valerie) in my opinion you wont go wrong with them,well chuffed how they finished the bus. :D :p 8)
they too did my poptop and made a cracking job of it.
my missus had one stipulation with regards our van and that was she chose the colours inside,red leather with cream piping,flutted stitching and i had the door cards done in the leather to match.
oh and i went with a diesel eberspacher instead of a propex and put mine under the bed.

cool looking van tho'

regards.

sharky. :p

by the way in stuart and drew's website my van is 69 pearl white westy. :mrgreen:

sharky71 said:
brings back memories, :roll: :roll: i went with stuart and drew last year (see thread in gallery ref valerie) in my opinion you wont go wrong with them,well chuffed how they finished the bus. :D :p 8)
they too did my poptop and made a cracking job of it.
my missus had one stipulation with regards our van and that was she chose the colours inside,red leather with cream piping,flutted stitching and i had the door cards done in the leather to match.
oh and i went with a diesel eberspacher instead of a propex and put mine under the bed.

cool looking van tho'

regards.

sharky. :p
Cheers mate, I followed your thread on their site your bus looks awesome, hope mine comes out as well!

Door has arrived and is a perfect fit apparently :) one thing down loads of others to go! There is crash damage on the front passenger side which I expected and it has a badly fitted replacement front panel. Getting some pics at the weekend so will pop them up here

Well we got the first picture back of the work in progress and it's looking good
pK25GzY.jpg

I'm quite liking the metal look, bit of lacquer and it could look good 8) Hopefully the front panel will be saveable.......

Well there's just been some more pictures posted on the midland paintwerks site. A selection of the interesting ones are below:

Previous repairs to the front:
U7Qynb5.jpg

8wVKssU.jpg

aQrmZfV.jpg

A crinkly rear corner (passenger side)

QVQPmFv.jpg

1hJuQUA.jpg

Some repairs and rust damage:

ByPYo5x.jpg

bH3jvH0.jpg

Front end looks like it has had a good whack at some point but hopefully all fixable. Need to have a chat with them at some point and get a full update

So a couple of more weeks have gone by and work is going well :) Temporarily halted on the welding side due to a wrong wheel arch being sent but here's some progress photos:

Section cut out of the rear arch, didn't look too bad from the front:
uGAjL8t.jpg

But behind the panel was rotten!
qyzNeFx.jpg

B post with a few holes, this and the inner C post have now been patched:
B2VF19f.jpg

Rotten sill on the slider side removed, luckily underneath is solid and just needs a clean and epoxy:
Cj4Rgbh.jpg

Opposite side sill removed, treated and then a replacement fitted:
YGC3UJP.jpg

knf7p8W.jpg

R6QWDQI.jpg

And finally one of the front arches, both are rotten to some degree with one side needing half an arch and the other needing the step replacing:
iBHiPjJ.jpg

Hopefully it's coming to the end of the surprises now! Really pleased with the quality of the work that is going on. I thought the bus looked relatively solid before it was stripped down.......

67westy said:
Well we got the first picture back of the work in progress and it's looking good
2012-03-16_17-28-21_592.jpg

I'm quite liking the metal look, bit of lacquer and it could look good 8) Hopefully the front panel will be saveable.......

Looking good mate 8) back to bare metal is the only way to go :) no surprises are hidden to find in the future ;)
Shaun

I know I'm looking forward to seeing it in paint I bet you are too :lol:

When you hoping to get it back?

68_early_bay said:
Looking good mate 8) back to bare metal is the only way to go :) no surprises are hidden to find in the future ;)
Shaun

None for the future but plenty for now :lol:

creationblue said:
I know I'm looking forward to seeing it in paint I bet you are too :lol:

When you hoping to get it back?

Can't wait mate, it seems to be coming on really quickly so far. The main thing is getting it back in time for the wedding so middle of July latest. I hope it will be sooner though, ideally we'd want it at some point in June to get the interior back in for camper jam. I don't think it'd be 100% done by then as there will be lots of finishing touches to do and parts to find but thats stuff that can come with time. I'm off down again in a couple of weeks so hoping to discuss firmer dates now that everything has been uncovered.

Had some more pictures uploaded to the site so here's a selection:

Rot cut out of the B post:
po2gByk.jpg

And the repair in place:
GSiwmyN.jpg

A slightly dodgy arch:
Kxp4oAo.jpg

oL1gMS9.jpg

Not sure which bit this is bit it has holes that I'm pretty sure aren't meant to be there :lol: Is it the C post?
0Dc6h8k.jpg

This shouldn't rot for a long time 8)
Z651P0o.jpg

I popped over on Saturday to have a look at how the bus is coming on and it's looking good :) dropped off a replacement engine tray and front bumper that were needed and had a good chat with Stuart. Having seen the quality of some of the repair panels available for a bay I was shocked, it's crying out for somebody to come in and make some decent stuff, they'd make a killing. Anyway hopefully in another couple of weeks the first coat of epoxy will be on and the paint prep will be under way!

Here's some pics of what has been happening:

Rear arch repair completed
hp3s0li.jpg

9KW4A4X.jpg

Stuart wasn't happy with the B post as he found another split in it so the previous repair was cut out along with a chunk more metal and a replacement piece put in:

sMMZelc.jpg

U2CFln3.jpg

Drivers side front arch cut out and replaced:

iexkR5d.jpg

UfjlP6o.jpg

ElOWOjM.jpg

Finally the dodgy passenger side front arch and the repair:

g7yMUoO.jpg

afNoyou.jpg

2uFiAq2.jpg

VO0B8I6.jpg

PlTfhSi.jpg

So thats the majority of the welding finished now, the repaired areas need a bit of beating to straighten them up and then the rear corners and a couple of other areas need some work to straighten but it's getting there :D

Well my claim that the welding was nearly done seems to be a bit premature, some more rot has been found behind the rear wheel arch :( Better it's found now thought I guess........

Latest posts