Ignition... (or lack of it)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluelighttaxidriver

Reaction score
Now I don't consider myself as a technical numpty, but can't understand what I've missed...

While ago now, got a '71 early bay, without engine. Got a standard 1600 tp engine off ebay. Known to be a runner.

Basically, finally found the time to get everything sorted. Thing is, can anyone please say exactly what connections go to & from the coil. Know this is basic stuff, but am stumped.

New coil, so no reason to suspect. Got no spark at the plugs. Got no spark to earth when I take the coil HT off the 009, & feed to earth.

I'm feeding the +ve side of the coil with ignition live. From that side, feed the choke & fuel cut off.
From the -ve side, connected straight to earth, & the green lead off the dizzy condensor, as per the Haynes manual.

Absolutely nothing. Have tried different HT leads. As a possible aside, have lost the oil pressure light on the dash. Did work fine earlier today. Fuses & bulb are fine.

Got to be something blaringly obvious... Any clues....?

Many thanks.

Steve.

Check you have 12 volts at the coil plus terminal with the ignition switched on first. Check the points are set correctly too, if they dont open/close there will be no spark ;)

Hiya Steve,

It does sound as if you might get some good out of a wiring diagram. You might want to try looking up your diagram at http://www.vintagebus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many thanks for the ideas. The wiring diagram matches what I have done, except the diagram doesn't show a direct earth as well as -ve to the condensor. Will look at that tomorrow.
Thing is, Haynes say the first test is to take the centre HT lead off, & hold the end 1/2 inch off an earth point. This should give a spark on turnover. Nothing.......
Is there any way of testing a coil off the van..?
Many thanks.

Try disconnecting that earth cable.
You won't get a spark with the earth connection, the coil generates a high voltage, the points close to make the circuit and release the spark as the voltage collapses down to earth through the spark plugs/cylinder heads.

Sparkywig you are a star......

Couldn't wait till morning, so just been out to try it. Started 2nd attempt. Runs rough as rats, but at least got a base to work with. :D

One thing I noticed though. Fitted an alternator, as the previous guy had done the conversion with the engine he kept. The dash charge light only dims with revs, not going out. Not got the oil pressure light on ignition either. Did have earlier today, but shorted something. Blew a fuse, which was obviously replaced, but the light didn't come on after....

I suppose it's welcome to the world of old vw's...!

Thanks again... :)

bluelighttaxidriver said:
Sparkywig you are a star......

Couldn't wait till morning, so just been out to try it. Started 2nd attempt. Runs rough as rats, but at least got a base to work with. :D

One thing I noticed though. Fitted an alternator, as the previous guy had done the conversion with the engine he kept. The dash charge light only dims with revs, not going out. Not got the oil pressure light on ignition either. Did have earlier today, but shorted something. Blew a fuse, which was obviously replaced, but the light didn't come on after....

I suppose it's welcome to the world of old vw's...!

Thanks again... :)

Did you join the cables together that were connected to the voltage regulator?
The two big reds ones together and the small green ones together? You don't need an earth connection.
The small green cable is the field connection and links to the dash warning light.

Will look into that tomorrow morning. Parked on the drive & blooming freezing out, as well as pitch black...!
Let you know...
Many thanks again. For the first time in months actually thinking it may just move under it's own steam... :)

Yeah did see your other post. Best of luck sorting it.
Tightened the fanbelt & charge light goes out now.
Many thanks again.

Latest posts