Ignition barrel removal

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slads

Reaction score
My barrel and ignition switch are knackered (hopefully the housing is ok) I have searched previous posts on removal of the barrel and seen the few links on removing with a paper clip through hole at back of housing, but I have the early type of housing, the only holes are at the front and appear to have been drilled by PO. Have tryed wire in these 2 holes with no joy. If I need to remove the square cover I cannot do this either. Anyone shed any light please ?

100_3986_zps59d1397a.jpg

The small hole (the very bottom hole towards the round opening in the picture) on the barrel housing is threaded and there is a very small and fiddly retaining screw, usually covered in a dab of paint to stop it falling out.

sparkywig said:
The small hole (the very bottom hole towards the round opening in the picture) on the barrel housing is threaded and there is a very small and fiddly retaining screw, usually covered in a dab of paint to stop it falling out.

thanks for the reply, I have removed this screw, still no joy, maybe the extra holes drilled by PO have caused barrel to be somehow jammed in housing. Am not sure whether the square metal cover needs to be removed to enable barrel to be removed. May resort to trying to drill out barrel. :?

are you putting the key in the barrell to try and remove it? If not, I think you have to do this..

matt-me said:
are you putting the key in the barrell to try and remove it? If not, I think you have to do this..

Yeh, thanks,tried that too. Resorted to drilling it out now so I can temporarily use a universal one till I source another.

I know, and am sorry, it's too late now but was there a small 'button' that needed to be pushed in to release the barrel/switch? The dark dot of three on the RHD of the cylinder. Haven't done this on a bay but have done it on my wife's 69 bug. It could help others as your photo's so good.

Latest posts