Horn going off

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The horn is permanantly live and it`s the switch that`s earthed :? So I`m guessing but either you`ve lost or damaged the insulator on the column or you`ve bent the little terminal out or have you fitted a new doughnut thingy on the column to the box, like a flexi uj type thing ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Lecktricks,,, the work of the devil I tell you ! :mrgreen:

I`ll be guessing that`s what it is then ,, just another high quality repro part that dosen`t actually work quite like it should :roll: Is there a steel mesh inside that touches the bolts and completes the circuit instead of isolating it like the original one would have done? There are decent ones available but you`ll have to have a search on here because it`s happened once or twice before, I`m stabbing in the dark here but mabe try MegaBug.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Don`t ya jussssst love it :mrgreen:

I bought a proper Gen VW one from Heritage i think. They aint cheap if I remember correctly, £30 ish I think!

Some of those repop doughnuts aren't round, so the column touches the tube when turning the wheel, beep beep! Quality parts, cant beat them.

The repo coupler on mine was conductive between any two of the four bolts :shock:
I ended up sleeving them with little nylon tubes and washers to isolate everything.

(I am too tight to buy another new coupler)

Right here goes
I've pulled it all out and started again
1.earth wire from horn to lug at bottom of steering column
2.wire down steering tube to rubber coupling.
3 isolator fitted on bottom isolator around inside top where steering lock goes through.
4 brown wire not connected at top ,but turn wheel and horn still goes off :evil:
Help

Does it still sound only when you turn the wheel (like your first post) or all the time?
Something is coonnecting your steering column tube to ground.
What if you disconnect the brown wire from the rubber donut?
(I assume it is connected to one of the steering box bolts and not the steering column bolts)
The other thing to try is unbolt the steering column from the donut and jam a thin bit of plastic in between to isolate them. If that works, your donut is conductive like mine was :evil: and will need careful insulation from the column bolts, or replacing.

HTH

Hi
The wire is conected to one of the strewing colour bolts ! And only sounds when I turn wheel about 1/8 to a 1/4 off turn
Cheers kev
Plus am I right connecting the earth from horn to bottom of out tube of steering coloum

The live feed goes to the high side of the horn from the fusebox. On mine it is an ignition-switched circuit.
The low side of the horn goes to the tab on the steering column tube.

If you ground this wire the horn will sound.

The steering column shaft and tube are both connected to the low side of the horn.
Therefore they must be isolated from the floor (plastic collar) and the dash (rubber sleeves).

The horn push button connects the steering column to the brown wire down the middle, that is connected to ground by one of the bolts on the steering coupler (rubber donut) connected to the steering box.

It is important that the steering coupler does not conduct otherwise the steering shaft would be connected electrically to the steering box, which is ground, and the horn will sound.

It seems to me that the low side of your horn is being grounded when you turn the wheel, maybe because one of the bolts through your steering coupler is touching the tab on the base of the steering column tube.

But there's lots of places this setup can go wrong, so lots to check.

Is it a relatively straightforward job to replace the steering coupler?

gilbo said:
Is it a relatively straightforward job to replace the steering coupler?
Awkward but possible with the plate removed at the base of the steering column.

Sent from my thl T6 pro using Tapatalk

I'm hoping this isn't a stupid question, just that you've not confirmed you've done this yet. The connection under the centre of the steering wheel, take the cap off, lift the spade connection up a bit and try turning the wheel again........ a bit of black tape solved my intermittent horn sounding

Thanks for the suggestion - gave that a go previously and still have the issue ;-)

I recently fitted new indicator to 71 Westy, mine sounded horn constantly. I placed a band of insulation tape around colum under metal collar hey presto! I know it's not what the purists will tell you but it worked and passed mot.

Chris

Latest posts