'Heidi' - 1971 Devon Sunlander

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagman

Reaction score
Hi Folks

This is my first post on the Forum. Indeed this is probably only my 4th or 5th post on any forum so here's hoping this appears ok !

May I introduce Heidi, my recently acquired 1971 Devon Sunlander. Up until now I haven't been heavily 'into' VW Campers or indeed any other VW having spent most of my life surrounded by Fords, Jaguars(hence the user name), and lately Classic Minis as my son has recently completed a full bare shell ground up restoration of one.

Although I've always had a passing fancy for VW Campers my interest was sparked about a year ago when this one turned up to be worked on at my local garage where I work in their service department. Heidi has been owned by the same family since new and although they never gave her this name they always regarded her as a 'she' so after a family brainstorming session my son came up with Heidi due to her German origins and corny reference to Hi De (Hi, Campers !) During her early years she travelled around most of Europe with Mum, Dad and 2 daughters hence all the stickers on the windows and cabinets, (Mum & Dad were both geography teachers). However due to the father's failing health about 20 years ago the camper has covered very little miles since,and in the last 10 years she has done only 225 miles bringing her total mileage up to 36k miles !!! The father passed away about 7 years ago but the family couldn't bear to part with Heidi as she was responsible for so many family memories so she just sat in her garage where she had been kept all her life. Despite her lack of use no expense has been spared in keeping her in tip top mechanical condition with a new clutch about 10 years ago, total new brakes all round a couple of years ago and due to failing seals from lack of use an engine rebuild with new carb just last year.

After much soul searching, mainly due to the mother's failing health, the family decided to try to sell Heidi after the engine rebuild and a potential buyer was found but unknown to me he backed out due to impending redundancy so she went back in the garage until mid April when she was booked in for her MOT which she passed with only an advisory on slight cracking of the tyre sidewalls. I took the booking and was surprised to hear she was still for sale. When I enquired about the asking price I was gobsmacked at what they were asking for her so couldn't miss this opportunity and bought her about 4 weeks ago after a short test drive.

She is very solid underneath although has had some welding in the past mainly around the jacking points and outriggers. Like most campers she's a little 'frilly' around the wheel arches and sills which is currently receiving my attention.

Since these photos were taken the day I got her I've spent a fair bit of time on her mainly cleaning, removing all the travel stickers and badges, stripped back and repainted the bumpers, repainted the wheels Pastel White, installed a new aerial, fitted a smaller wooden steering wheel, removed the awful seat covers and started tackling the rusty bits.

From my online research it would seem that Devon Sunlanders are pretty rare only being produced during 1971 and in small numbers compared to the more popular Moonraker. The orange interior is so '70s but is in fairly good nick so not sure whether to keep the interior original or go for an updated look. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Until I bought Heidi I didn't know that there were early & late bays(!!!) although I've learnt such a lot from this forum in particular. I have a few questions which no doubt some of you guys can provide answers to.

1. The camper has the usual 1600 cc engine but which type is it ? A single port or twin port, I suspect single due to the single carb.
2. She could do with a bit more power just to cruise more easily at motorway speeds. What mods would you suggest e.g. twin carbs, electronic ignition etc ?
3. Why are early bays considered more desirable than late bays apart from the obvious of being older ?
4. Before I reveal what I paid for her , how much do you think she would be worth bearing in mind her very low miles and general solid nature ?

With all the work we're doing on her we haven't ventured out and about yet but hope to stretch her legs next month with a few days out.

I hope this post will be the first of many and look forward to getting more involved ion the camper scene.

Here's some photos of Heidi, more to come soon.

Welcome ,and what a sweet original Devon you've got, looks like you got real lucky !
To answer your questions..
Your engine is a twin port, see the inlet manifold ends are twin, not single pipes.
If you want to cruise faster, you'll need an updated 4th gear, nothing about the engine will change cruising speed. It'll just be quicker.
Early bays are better looking.
I'd say its worth 10k from the pics and description ( only my opinion though )
Like it :mrgreen:

Very nice original devon interior (and as you say, quite a rare conversion). I don't think you should replace it with a modern interior, they don't suit these old buses in my opinion. Anyhow, it's your shout at the end of the day. (don't though ;) )

Oh what a plonker ! Need to get a bit more computer savvy when it comes to this forum stuff. Meant to update this thread but have started a new one by mistake , see the 'Update' for what's been happening to Heidi over the past 2 years.

Latest posts