Headlight Setup

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super-G

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Dubbers,

Am hoping for a bit of guidance with setting up the headlights on my 72 Bay.

It's a RHD bus and has the three bolt headlight fitted. The alignment is way out and I think they've been put in incorrectly.

The reflector is still fitted with its original beam deflectors, as it hasn't had halogen upgrades (yet!).

I'm hoping somebody could tell me if the legs for the beam deflectors should be in the horizontal or vertical plane?

Also, I'm hoping for some guidance on the positions of the three rubber grommets, to allow for correct UK RHD adjustment?

I have an MOT retest later this week and would appreciate any help in getting the lights setup pointing roughly in the correct direction.

Many Thanks,
Andy :)

Do you have a Bently manual, if so all the info you need is in there, but remember the setup is for left hand drive so you have to reverse all the beam setup for RHD, if you dont have a Bently let me know and i will run through it for you

Hi Vinvan,

Am afraid I don't have a Bentley manual, only a Haines, which only talks about the later model headlights without the rubber grommets.

From playing around last night I think I've decided that correct position of the reflector should put the legs for the beam deflectors go in the vertical position, but I could be completely wrong.

Many Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy, this may help, the headlight on the right (Type 2) is the one you want

Screw A = Horizontal (i.e. lateral) beam-aiming screw
Screw B = Vertical beam-aiming screw
Screw C = Headlamp-unit securing screw
Then follow the instructions in your Haynes Manual(if its the same as mine its pages 155 to 156) dont forget the diagrams are for a LHD so as the manual says for RHD the diagrams should be mirrored
Hope this helps
and good luck with the MOT

Bob

That is useful. Thanks Bob.

I just need to know the positioning of the three (or should it be four?) rubber grommets that hold the reflectors into the surround, then hopefully I should be able to get them setup correctly.

Many Thanks,
Andy

There should only be three rubber grommets, one for each of the adjuster screw locators, and the third for the bowl to pivot on. With a fourth one, the bowl can only be adjusted on one diagonal axis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob, thank you for the photos. They're very useful and have confirmed that the beam deflector goes in the vertical plane with the sidelight at the bottom. You're a legend. I appreciate the help.

Now the rubber grommets. Moseley, do you know which of the two possible positions shouldn't have one fitted? Am guessing it could actually be either, as both would allow the lens to pivot. Is there a preference to which creates a more steady reflector?

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy
Dont know who is correct about the rubber grommets, mine have got four, some others i have seen on the web have three!
my headlights adjusted fine both horizontal and vertical with four
take a look at this video on Youtube think it will explain what you are looking for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emxck_idJzI

Bob

Thanks Bob. You're a legend. Those photos were a great help. appreciate you taking them.

I hadn't thought of looking for videos on YouTube, that was also useful.

I took the van in for retest with two grommets on the bottom of each reflector and just one on the top, but with the other two in my pocket in case they were needed. The headlights adjusted up perfectly, giving me and 'Bumble' another years motoring. I will create a build thread shortly to formally introduce 'Bumble' to the forum.

Many thanks for the help.

Andy

No problem, glad your back on the road, will be posting some photos of our bus "Buzzy" soon almost finished the restro

Latest posts