Headlight dashboard tell-tale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moseley

Reaction score
I'm hoping this is going to be an easy one to answer... I've just finished making my own loom and re-wiring the bus and one little thing I've noticed is that the green headlight tell-tale illuminates when the sidelights are on, but then goes out when I switch to dipped beam. Blue light is all fine for main beam. Is this normal? I could have sworn the green light stayed illuminated before on dipped beam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your right. Green light for dipped beam. However, what use is that, as I'm more likely to forget I've got side lights on! You've probably take the wrong feed from the lights switch, i changed my feed so that the green light comes on for side lights or dipped. No wiring change required (as i recall), just moved the green dash feed😀

I've always thought the green light on these buses was for sidelights only because your less likely to remember they are turned on or able to see them turned on compared to dipped beam.

On modern cars this is different, but you will probably notice the dipped beam on the modern cars is a different symbol, its a headlamp with lines angled downwards coming out of it.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift 2 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering now. Perhaps it was just sidelights before..... Either way, using that spare pin on the light switch now has it green for dipped or side. Getting back to the question.... Now I'm not sure what the answer is

Just been out to have a gander at my switch, which I'm pretty sure is an original one from 68. The pins agree with the diagram in Bentley, that is:

30 - all the red permanent live wires
56 - White/black to full beam relay
57 - grey/black to dashboard tell-tale
58b - grey/orange to dashboard illumination

The only spare pin is another 57 which obviously just gives me the same as above - green light on side lights, but nothing on dipped beam. I was wondering about taking another feed to the dash light from the dipped beam circuit, but I think this would end up feeding 12v back to pin 57 when it shouldn't have it. Not sure what the implications of this would be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts