Front end set-up (again! sorry!)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shorty

Reaction score
I thought this would be easy - but it's not, so I would like to see what the general opinion is within the club...

On my 69 bus, I currently have a stock width ball joint beam with drum brakes.

So what do I want?

Brakes:

What with building the more powerful motor and having my family on board sometime, the ability to stop is paramount, so a conversion to a disc brake set up is needed.

Ride height:

Running stock at the moment, it's not my cup of tea to be honest, I want to go lower, but not slammed as I would like it to be useable and comfortable within reason for the family too.. I'm thinking a 3.5"-4" drop.

Steering:

My only experience of Bay steering is in my westy, this wasn't good! I don't know what the steering box is like in this bus as I haven't driven it, but the steering box isn't getting any younger and you cannot buy new ones. Do I go for a rack and pinion - many rave about how good they are and how much easier it makes driving an old VW..

OK, that's what I want.. there are a number of options how to get it (which is where you guys come in!)

1) Overall - Red9 Design Double Wishbone beam conversion. This involves taking the current front beam, brakes and steering out and replacing it with a complete unit from Red9. The height is varied by the position of the 'beam' relative to the chassis, so zero change in the suspension setup / geometry. It runs late bay disc brakes and calipers. It also incorporates a steering rack. All sounds good so far huh.. but, it's £2k delivered and you can't run stock 14" wheels, you have to go to 15" (which I was going to do in good time anyway, but didn't necessarily want to be forced to do it now...)

2) Buy dropped spindles (transporterhaus) for my current ball joint beam (which has all new ball joints just fitted) giving me the 4" drop I desire and buy a disc brake kit (FutBus vented discs). Keep the current steering and see how it is. If it turns out to be crap, then add a Creative Engineering steering rack at a later date. Cost, Spindles - £445, Brakes £850 ish, rack £850ish. This option potentially costs a little more (depends if I can pick up a bargain along the way!) in the long term, but I can spread it out....

3) As above, but using a KnL beam I have been offered. I don't know what state this is in, so it might need some additional work, but would tuck in my front wheels slightly (26mm less in total width the stock ball joint)

4) As (2) & (3) but go for Porsche 944 brake conversion which may be a bit cheaper than FutBus, but will be second hand parts and won't give me the 5x205 PCD that I would like for my wheel choice.... could run adaptors perhaps? assumed cost, £400-£600

One word! HELP! cos I am struggling to make head or tail of this conundrum!

Red9, and you can run stock 14" steels. Steering, brakes and suspension in one hit.
There's no fucking about with parts that aren't designed to be fitted together and no constant fiddling and greasing.
Not that I'm fed up with the whole front beam thing.....

.....or you could just stay stock.

Latest posts