fitting new canvas to Danbury pop up

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deano1300

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm just in the last throws of finishing a 3 year restoration. Can anyone give me advice on fitting a new canvass to a Danbury pop up? I have the new canvass (Measured 4 times) and about to cut!! Is it better to fit from the top or bottom? Advice most welcome as it almost ended in a divorce today with the wife!!! Help!!!

Deano

Moved to tech... please remember in future or i'll be winding your mrs up and setting her in your direction.

Now I'm sure the guys will be along shortly to answer your Q

hi,
well i think i have a different style pop top to yours but i trial fitted the fabric last weekend and i found it easier staring on the bottom as it's easier to fit your head through the hole to screw the baton over the fabric than trying to reach over the front and back of the bus, my fabric is attached on the inside on the actual pop top so i could tighten the fabric perfectly.

good luck with the fitting nearly there!! :)

I'm just about to do mine, I ordered the plastic material and it came pre made, when I was ordering it I was asked the measurements of the roof and the poptop, the measurement was as the crow flies, not following the curve of the poptop or roof. Mines was tacked to the poptop and fixed at the bottom by the flat bar rivitted to the roof. When my material came it has the curve cut into it. I was going to tack the top part 1st starting with the centres at each end then centres at each side working my way evenly to the 4 corners. Then lift the roof back inplace with the support bars all fitted and then do the bottom the same way. One thing the bloke mentioned was getting the material tight to stop sideways movement. When doing the bottom it will be a case of getting the material tight and pop rivetting it through the flat bar and roof.

http://www.poptop-parts.co.uk/danbury.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is where I got the material, edging and finnishing strip from and the bloke was very helpful.

I

Araon said:
Moved to tech... please remember in future or i'll be winding your mrs up and setting her in your direction.

Now I'm sure the guys will be along shortly to answer your Q

Cheers Bud, Only just joined the Forum so finding my around the RULES! :D Thanks for the advice guys, some nervous moments when it came to cutting the material but got there in the end! Not a job I want to do again for at least another 40 years!

Latest posts