FBH fuel tank location…

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben72Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Has anyone put a fuel tank opposite the heater? - with each one under the from seats.
IMG_8174.jpeg
Obviously not ideal for filling up but makes use of a dead space and doesn’t compromise any other interior space.
I can’t fit a tank behind the front passenger seat unless I have one made. (I’m not ruling that out, just not sure where to start finding someone to weld one up)
IMG_3236.jpeg

Thoughts?

Thanks
Ben

Think I’ve decided to put the fuel tank underneath the bus.

I’m sure I remember seeing a ‘torpedo’ shaped tank mounted under the side of a bus. Think it must have had a side filler neck.
Might it have originally been for the cooker fuel perhaps??
Does this ring any bells with anyone???

Last edited:
Think I’ve decided to put the fuel tank underneath the bus.

I’m sure I remember seeing a ‘torpedo’ shaped tank mounted under the side of a bus. Think it must have had a side filler neck.
Might it have originally been for the cooker fuel perhaps??
Does this ring any bells with anyone???
Some camper conversions had underslung gas tanks.

Unless you get a specific lift pump, I don't think the pump supplied with the diesel heater would cope with an underslung tank.
Why have you decided to not fit the tank behind the seat?
A chap I know called Tom Booth makes custom diesel tanks for buses.

02454220-77AA-4E5B-B265-BC7F70AEFC0A.jpeg05AE77EF-7E0D-4E93-B0EB-4555D1455128.jpegC4BE58A1-13A4-4EC5-9BDF-6A889961DC2C.jpeg

Unless you get a specific lift pump, I don't think the pump supplied with the diesel heater would cope with an underslung tank.
Why have you decided to not fit the tank behind the seat?
A chap I know called Tom Booth makes custom diesel tanks for buses.

View attachment 6747View attachment 6748View attachment 6749
I love those tanks but I just don’t have enough space behind the front seats sadly.
I’m going to have another look, but I don’t think there is enough space behind there to get anything meaningful.
IMG_3236.jpeg

Only concern I’d have I about venting the tank. No vent means you create a vacuum as you use fuel. And if you have a vent then do you want tank inside the van? External vent is essential

I've got one of those, haven't got round to installing it yet, or buying a diesel heater, LOL, they vent from the small tube on top of filler neck. Which I guess you would attach a fuel line to and vent somewhere (?)

I’ve got a 10ltr tank behind my passenger seat with no modifications at all. 3screws and it’s in! Filler neck sticks out perfectly to fill up.

Thanks @sparkywig !
So I’m not going mad!!

Do you know if there is a modern or repro version of those tanks available from anywhere?
If there is one out there then it seems simpler to buy one then have one made.
😁
Some camper conversions had underslung gas tanks.

These LPG - liquid petroleum gas (i.e. butane or propane) tanks, should not be confused by Americans with gasoline / petrol tanks, who for reasons best known to themselves, misguidedly call them gas tanks.

These LPG - liquid petroleum gas (i.e. butane or propane) tanks, should not be confused by Americans with gasoline / petrol tanks, who for reasons best known to themselves, misguidedly call them gas tanks.
Wouldn’t do at all would it , blowing up our colonial cousins over the pond.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,We’ll spotted that Nigel :)

Latest posts