Engine noise

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Tin Top
Evening all,

Looking to purchase this bus and the seller just sent me the below video of the engine running.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 0951bc5e-67fc-4816-8ce1-634b36c6daab.mov
    13.3 MB
Sounds like something is in with the fan, possibly alternator but it don’t sound very healthy. Wrong fan housing, wrong pulley. Sort of sounds like the starter motor is staying engaged as well. Not saying it is but it does sound like ^^^! If someone is selling it like that, I’d be thinking there’s not a lot of maintenance gone on here, just my thoughts.
What’s the rest of it like, ? If I was buying one right now, or even buying that one. I’d be thinking and looking at the body more than the motor. The killer and biggest expense on these is rust. You’re not gonna get a stored in the garage from new rust free example for less than forty K. You might get a decent refurb rust free for fifteen up to thirty five K. Anything less than ten K , you’re rolling the dice with the rust devils. Whatever you can see as rust, is usually less than five percent as to what is there, sometimes even more is hiding in the nooks and crannies waiting until you open it up. Good luck Scott with your search.:rolleyes:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,Is it cheap ?:)

Cheers Ozziedog.

The chassis and bodywork appear to be rust free. Only cosmetic issue is slight paint flaking on the roof which appear to be from poor paint - no rust.

In regards to the engine noise, ive had my mechanic have a listen to it and it appears to be straight cut camshaft gears - which is alright.

As long as the noise is explained, anything else I can work with.

The vans up for £12500 and comes with plenty of accessories too.

I’m going to have a look at it in person soon, I’ll let you know..

Take the belt off and run. Spin the generator pulley by hand and check the generator clamp.

If you can remove fan belt and see if noise is not there. If no noise suspect the problem make be the after market generator pedestal that is fitted. I have come across this problem before where pedestal is not same height as OE pedestal and fan catches fan housing

Sounds like straight cut cam gears, great for power but don't half get on your nerves on a long motorway journey.
They don’t really make much difference when on power, they are to reduce thrust load on the camshaft bearings which is a side effect of using heavier dual valve springs.

Love the sound of mine 😬😆

Latest posts